What is the value for $a+b$ in the Polynomial Challenge VI?

In summary: But I didn't do that very well, because whenever I read a solution, I would focus more on seeing the tactic or skill that one used and if the poster used the "correct" method, then I don't really read for the whole post, I know this is a very bad ethic and I would change to become a better me from now on.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
If $a,\,b$ are the two largest real roots of the polynomial $f(x)=3x^3-17x+5\sqrt{6}$, and their sum can be expressed as $\dfrac{\sqrt{m}+\sqrt{n}}{k}$ for positive integers $m,\,n,\,k$, find the value for $a+b$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint:

Try to think of a way to get rid of the $\sqrt{6}$ so that we could make full use of the rational root theorem to this hard challenge.

anemone said:
If $a,\,b$ are the two largest real roots of the polynomial $f(x)=3x^3-17x+5\sqrt{6}$, and their sum can be expressed as $\dfrac{\sqrt{m}+\sqrt{n}}{k}$ for positive integers $m,\,n,\,k$, find the value for $a+b$.

Since

$\displaystyle f(x\sqrt{6}) = \sqrt{6}(18x^3 - 17x + 5) = \sqrt{6}(3x - 1)(6x^2 + 2x - 5)$

has roots $\frac{1}{3}$, $\frac{-1 + \sqrt{31}}{6}$, and $\frac{-1 - \sqrt{31}}{6}$, the sum of the two largest roots is

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} + \frac{-1 + \sqrt{31}}{6} = \frac{1 + \sqrt{31}}{6}$.

Hence

$a + b = \sqrt{6} \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{31}}{6} = \frac{\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{186}}{6}$.

Last edited:
anemone said:
my solution:
let $f(x)=(3x-p)(x-b)(x-c)=3x^3-17x+5\sqrt 6$
here $a=\dfrac {p}{3},b,c $ are three roots of $f(x)$
and $a>0,b>0,c<0$
for $a+b=\dfrac {p}{3}+b=\dfrac {\sqrt m+\sqrt n}{k}$
if $b=\dfrac {-\sqrt m+\sqrt n}{k}$ then $c=\dfrac {-\sqrt m-\sqrt n}{k}$
by comparing and observation we get $k=6$, and $ a=\dfrac {\sqrt m}{3}$
since $abc=\dfrac{\sqrt m}{3}(\dfrac {-\sqrt m+\sqrt n}{6})(\dfrac {-\sqrt m-\sqrt n}{6})$=$\dfrac{\sqrt m(n-m)}{108}=\dfrac {5\sqrt 6}{3}=\dfrac {180\sqrt 6}{108}$
$\therefore m=6,n=186$
$a+b=\dfrac{\sqrt 6+\sqrt {186}}{6}$

Last edited:
Well done, Euge for solving this problem in such an elegant way!

Bravo, Albert for showing us another route to tackle the problem!

Thank you both for participating.:)

Euge said:
Since

$\displaystyle f(x\sqrt{6}) = \sqrt{6}(18x^3 - 17x + 5) = \sqrt{6}(3x - 1)(6x^2 + 2x - 5)$

has roots $\frac{1}{3}$, $\frac{-1 + \sqrt{31}}{6}$, and $\frac{-1 - \sqrt{31}}{6}$, the sum of the two largest roots is

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} + \frac{-1 + \sqrt{31}}{6} = \frac{1 + \sqrt{31}}{6}$.

Hence

$a + b = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{31}}{6} = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{6} \cdot \frac{1 + \sqrt{31}}{6} = \frac{\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{186}}{36}$.
very good soluion ,but I think ,it should be:
$a + b ={\sqrt{6}} \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{31}}{6}= \frac{\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{186}}{6}$

Albert said:
$a + b ={\sqrt{6}} \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{31}}{6}= \frac{\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{186}}{6}$

Yes, you're right. I have made the correction. Thank you.

Albert said:

I guess I owe you a thank because as the OP to this particular challenge, I should be the one who checked for the accuracy, typos, etc from the submissions of our members...:eek:

But I didn't do that very well, because whenever I read a solution, I would focus more on seeing the tactic or skill that one used and if the poster used the "correct" method, then I don't really read for the whole post, I know this is a very bad ethic and I would change to become a better me from now on.

1. What is the "Polynomial Challenge VI"?

The "Polynomial Challenge VI" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the roots of a given polynomial equation. These roots are the values at which the polynomial equation is equal to zero.

2. How is the "Polynomial Challenge VI" different from other polynomial challenges?

The "Polynomial Challenge VI" is unique because it involves finding the roots of a polynomial equation with a higher degree than previous challenges. This makes it more complex and challenging for mathematicians to solve.

3. What is the significance of solving the "Polynomial Challenge VI"?

Solving the "Polynomial Challenge VI" can have significant implications in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. It can help in predicting and analyzing complex systems and phenomena.

4. What techniques can be used to solve the "Polynomial Challenge VI"?

There are various techniques that can be used to solve the "Polynomial Challenge VI" such as factoring, synthetic division, and the rational root theorem. Advanced techniques such as the quadratic formula and the cubic formula can also be used for higher degree polynomials.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the "Polynomial Challenge VI"?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving the "Polynomial Challenge VI". One example is in economics, where polynomial equations are used to model market demand and supply. It can also be used in engineering to design and optimize structures and systems.