What is the value of r given the change in electric potential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
mrcotton
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
The electric potential at a distance r from a positive point charge is 45V. The potential
increases to 50 V when the distance from the charge decreases by 1.5 m. What is the
value of r?

A 1.3m
B 1.5m
C 7.9m
D 15m

Homework Statement



the answer is D

Homework Equations


V=(1/4∏ε) q/r
v proportional to 1/r

The Attempt at a Solution


5=(q/(1/4∏ε))*((1/r-1.5)-(1/r))

How embarrassing I just can’t get my head around this one. Am I setting the equation up correct to solve.
If I have I need desperate help with the algebra.
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org


mrcotton said:
The electric potential at a distance r from a positive point charge is 45V. The potential
increases to 50 V when the distance from the charge decreases by 1.5 m. What is the
value of r?

A 1.3m
B 1.5m
C 7.9m
D 15m

Homework Statement



the answer is D

Homework Equations


V=(1/4∏ε) q/r
v proportional to 1/r

The Attempt at a Solution


5=(q/(1/4∏ε))*((1/r-1.5)-(1/r))

How embarrassing I just can’t get my head around this one. Am I setting the equation up correct to solve.
If I have I need desperate help with the algebra.
Thank you
You have one equation and two unknowns.

Taking the ratio [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{V(r)}{V(r-1.5)}\ \[/itex] might be more helpful.

Otherwise, use your equation along with [itex]\displaystyle \ \ V(r)=45=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0\,r}\ \[/itex] then eliminate q & solve for r.
 


You're going to want to get rid of the constants you don't have values for (like the charge value q) so you'll probably want to set it up as a ratio so that they'll cancel out.

EDIT: SammyS got their first!
 


Thank you guys.
I did it like this with your help.
Is this mathematicaly sound.
Thanks
Mr C
electrostaic_zpsf9de5785.jpg
 


mrcotton said:
Thank you guys.
I did it like this with your help.
Is this mathematically sound.
Thanks
Mr C
attachment.php?attachmentid=54562&stc=1&d=1357706512.jpg
That answer is correct.
 
Attachments
  • electrostaic_zpsf9de5785.jpg
    electrostaic_zpsf9de5785.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,486