1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the value of these angles ?

1. Apr 7, 2014 #1
    i know that question is a little basic but i have no one to ask.

2qnd3dx.jpg

for this image i think that the angle between the horizontal and the normal force that the semi-cylinder
    exert on the bar is is α - 90°

Original Image
    w03t5u.png

20s6jy0.png

for this one i think that the angle between the horizontal and the normal forces that the cylinders exert on the bar is O - 90°

but my teacher says that is O and i can't figure why.

some one can explaimed why ? thanks.

Original Image
    121egc2.png

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2014 #2
    An angle is measured between two directions. You can't say "the angle of the normal force that the semi-cylinder
    exert on the bar" and expect people to know what you're talking about because you only provided one direction - namely, the direction of the normal force. Are you measuring the angle between that force and the horizontal direction? If that's the case than the answer to the first picture that the angle is equal to α. Why can't you ask that question to your teacher?

4. Apr 7, 2014 #3
    thanks.

i've edited the post as you say, i can't ask to my teacher because my exam is the next class.

5. Apr 7, 2014 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no difference between the 2 figures in regard to the angle that the normal force makes with the horizontal. The angles of a triangle sum to 180 Degrees and angles on one side of a straight line also sum to 180 degrees. In your first figure, Try extending the horizontal line through D to your dashed line and examine the triangle so formed to see if that helps to determine the required angle of the normal force, using the 180 degree sum rules noted.

6. Apr 7, 2014 #5
    Thanks

I did as you said and the first figure the angle is α and in the the second the angle is o

it is a little more clear to me now.

7. Apr 7, 2014 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK and a belated welcome to PF!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted