What is the velocity of an electron in a benzene molecule?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anochaa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electron Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Anochaa
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electron in a benzene molecule makes a reasonable approximation to an electron
confined to a hoop. If the radius of the benzene molecule is about 5x10-10 m, and the
electron has the lowest allowed angular momentum of h/2π, what is the velocity of the
electron? (You may wish to recall the electron mass is 9x10-31 kg, and angular
momentum is L = rp = rmv.)


Homework Equations


I'm not entirely sure.


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm in a really poorly run workshop based class, so we have no textbook and the packets we were given are completely not at all helpful here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Anochaa said:
What do you use for n though?

Are you sure that is an n? I believe it is a pi.
 
Oooh, my bad. Sorry! That completely threw me off - it looks like an n in the PDF. Now I just feel dumb, haha.