What is the velocity of the given wave based on the wave equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
sweep123
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Satisfying wave equation

Homework Statement


Confirm that the following wave satisfies the wave equation and obtain an expression for the velocity of a wave

Y=Asin(2x-5t)*e^(-2t)

Homework Equations



the wave equation is

(d^2y/dt^2)=(V^2)*(d^2y/dx^2)

The Attempt at a Solution



I assumed that I had to differentiate Y with respect to 't' twice and the differentiate Y with respect to 'x' twice and then substitute these into the equation.

This left me with

-21Ae^(-2t)sin(2x-t)+20Ae^(-2t)cos(2x-5t)=(V^2)(-4Ae^(-2t)sin(2x-5t))

but this doesn't really prove that the wave satisfies the equation. Does it?

I can then rearrange to get V the wave velocity. Am I on the right track?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is A constant or is it A(x)? Because with A constant, your function [tex]y(x,t)[/tex], does not satisfy the wave equation.
 
One would have to demonstrate that both sides of the wave equation are equal when using the proposed solution.

The general wave equation is
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u} {\partial t^2} = c^2 \nabla^2 u[/tex], where c is the wave velocity. That constant, c, would be found in the solution.

So then, what is the value of V based on the given function?

I would expect A is a constant coefficient of amplitude.
 
Last edited: