1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the volume of a unit infinite-hypersphere?

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    Easy teaser:

What is the volume of a unit infinite-hypersphere?

Answer: 0

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2
    I don't understand the question? Do you mean what would be the formula for the volume of a hypersphere?

4. Jan 29, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you can find the content of an n-dimensional hypersphere, then set its radius to 1 and find the limit as [itex] n\rightarrow \infty [/itex].

The questions asks what this limit will be.

5. Jan 29, 2005 #4
    Ah ok I understand the question now.

6. Jan 29, 2005 #5
    Follow-up: At how many dimensions (n) does the unit n-hypersphere have the largest volume?

7. Jan 30, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The content goes like [tex]V_n(r=1)~~ \alpha~~\frac{\pi ^{n/2}}{n \Gamma (n/2)} [/tex]

I get [tex]V_4 = 2.467K,~~V_5 = 2.631K,~~V_6 = 2.584K [/tex]

So I'll go with n=5.

8. Jan 30, 2005 #7
    You got it :biggrin:

Which is very odd, at least at an intuitive level. (about n=5 having the greatest volume, not the fact that you are right :tongue2: ) Is there something special about a 5 dimensional universe?

9. Jan 30, 2005 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would imagine that different shapes would have maximal volumes or other parameters in different dimensions. The unit hypersphere has maximal surface area in n=7.

For the sphere the specific numbers are related to the magnitude of [itex]\pi[/itex], I imagine.

10. Jan 31, 2005 #9
    Volume of shpere = 4/3 pi r*r*r

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?