What is the 'Advice' Function on a Pub Payment Device?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the device in a pub allows for payment by Interac, and a menu appeared after the transaction was completed. The menu included a function called "Advice" which prompts for a dollar amount. After asking two waitresses, it was still unclear what the function was for. One possibility could be that it is used to check funds on a prepaid card. However, upon further research, it appears that "Advice" may refer to a credit advice or voice authorization service. Another possibility is that it could be related to the Red Light district, but this is not confirmed.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Not the device - the function.

This is in a pub. I've paid for my dinner by Interac, and the waitress got distracted and left the device with me. After finishing with my transaction, this menu (pic: menu.jpg) appeared on the device.

What on Earth could Advice be?
So I pressed it, and it went to the second screen (pic: input.jpg). The title is Advice, and all that it provides is a field for entry of a dollar amount.

I asked two waitresses, and neither of them had any idea what it might be for.

Obvious throwaway answer is that they charge for advice here, but seriously... any ideas?
menu.jpg
input.jpg

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, in the UK you would get an "advice" slip from an ATM which would tell you the details of the transaction (amount withdrawn or, if from your bank, your balance and available daily funds). So maybe it's something like this - checking how much money is on a prepaid card?

DaveC426913 said:
Not the device - the function.

This is in a pub. I've paid for my dinner by Interac, and the waitress got distracted and left the device with me. After finishing with my transaction, this menu (pic: menu.jpg) appeared on the device.

What on Earth could Advice be?
So I pressed it, and it went to the second screen (pic: input.jpg). The title is Advice, and all that it provides is a field for entry of a dollar amount.

I asked two waitresses, and neither of them had any idea what it might be for.

Obvious throwaway answer is that they charge for advice here, but seriously... any ideas?View attachment 79387 View attachment 79388

Red Light district?

1. What is a Pub Device?

A pub device is a type of electronic device used in the publishing industry to create and format digital publications such as e-books and online magazines. It often includes software and hardware components that allow for the creation, editing, and distribution of digital content.

2. Why is Pub Device important for publishers?

Pub devices have become increasingly important for publishers as more and more content is being consumed digitally. These devices allow publishers to create and distribute digital content more efficiently and effectively, reaching a wider audience and potentially increasing their revenue.

3. What features should I look for in a Pub Device?

Some important features to consider when looking for a pub device include the ability to create and edit content, support for different file formats, compatibility with various platforms and devices, and options for distribution and marketing of digital publications.

4. Are there different types of Pub Devices available?

Yes, there are various types of pub devices available, each with their own unique features and capabilities. Some popular options include Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing, Apple's iBooks Author, and Barnes & Noble's PubIt! platform.

5. How can I learn more about using a Pub Device for my publishing needs?

There are many resources available for learning about pub devices and how to use them effectively for publishing. These include online tutorials, user manuals, and training courses provided by the device manufacturers or independent publishing organizations.