What is time? Which books are reccomended?

• Thread starter Robert100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Time
In summary: Thanks.In summary, many physicists only study the works of other physicists, and ignore papers on the nature of time that come from the philosophy community.
Robert100
I'm interested in learning about the nature of time. I know that modern physics and philosophy has no firm conclusions on this issue, but I want to read about the various views that serious thinkers have developed about time.

Would readers of this forum comment on the following books/authors?

I am presently reading through "The Arrow of Time" Peter Coveney and Roger Highfield, and it appears very good.

A more popular text that also appears good, but in much less detail, is "About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution" by Paul Davies.

Any comments about the following books? (I haven't read them yet)

"World in Process" John A. Jungerman. He discusses modern physics and cosmology; also connects those ideas to process thought.

"Time's Arrow and Archimedes' Point: New Directions for the Physics of Time" Huw Price. Price has criticised several points made by Coveney and Highfield, and his name comes up a lot. What do people think of his work?

"Travels in Four Dimensions: The Enigmas of Space and Time" Robin Le Poidevin

"The End of Certainty" Ilya Prigogine.

"The End of Time" Julian Barbour - Here Barbour argues that time literally is an illusion, and that we live in a timeless reality. I know that he is respected, but considered totally mistaken, by the physics community.

"Time Reality" - Victor Stenger.

Any suggestions or constructive criticism on any of these books/authors would be most welcome!

On a separate note:
From the many articles and webistes I have read, plus the above two books, it seems that most physicists only study the works of other physicists. They seem to ignore most of the papers on the nature of time that come from the philosophy community. Any ideas why this is so? Do members of academy who study philosophy make an effort to get in touch with physicists, attend physics conferences, work with the local physics professors, etc.?

Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you posted this the other day. Anyway, I'll say what I said then, incase you didn't see it. I read a good book a while ago on this topic: it was called "The River of Time" and is by Igor Novikov.

cristo said:
I'm sure you posted this the other day. Anyway, I'll say what I said then, incase you didn't see it. I read a good book a while ago on this topic: it was called "The River of Time" and is by Igor Novikov.

Ack! You're right, cristo. Here is the other (mostly duplicate) thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178136

Robert100, duplicate posts are not allowed here on the PF. I'm going to lock this thread, and ask anybody who wants to respond to this question to please follow the link and respond in the other thread.

1. What is time?

Time is a fundamental concept in physics that measures the duration of events and the intervals between them. It is also used to describe the sequence of events and the change or movement of objects in the universe.

2. How is time measured?

Time is measured using various units such as seconds, minutes, hours, and years. These units are based on the rotation of the Earth and its orbit around the Sun. More precise measurements of time are done using atomic clocks which are based on the oscillation of atoms.

3. Is time a physical or a human construct?

This is a philosophical question that is still debated among scientists. Some argue that time is a fundamental property of the universe, while others believe that it is a human construct used to make sense of the world. The answer may depend on the perspective and interpretation of different theories.

4. What is the relationship between time and space?

According to Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are intertwined and cannot exist independently. The theory suggests that the fabric of space-time is curved by massive objects, causing the motion of objects to be affected by both time and space.

5. Which books are recommended for understanding the concept of time?

There are many books that discuss the concept of time, but some notable recommendations include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Order of Time" by Carlo Rovelli, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene. These books provide a comprehensive and accessible explanation of time and its relationship to the universe.