Definition of Topology: What is a Topological Space?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, a Topological Space is a set X with a topology, which is a class of sets closed under arbitrary unions and finite intersections. This includes X and the empty set, but it can be difficult to understand why. Using De Morgan's laws and basic set logic, it can be seen that the intersection of the empty collection is the entire universe, making it the key concept in this situation.
Definition/Summary

A Topological Space can be defined as a non empty set X along with a class of sets, called a topology on X which is closed under (1) arbitrary unions (2) finite intersections. It can be assumed that this will always include X and p (the empty set), but understanding the reason for this can be quite difficult.

Equations

Let

X be the universe
P be the empty collection
Q be the collection of compliments of P
p the empty set
U = Union
I = Intersection
C = Compliment

Briefly, p is included as the union of the empty collection and X is included as the intersection of the empty collection. It's the latter of these that causes conceptual difficulties. How can the intersection of a collection with nothing in it be the whole universe?

If we first accept that as a simple accumulation of elements it's easy to grasp that U(P) = p. Now we can use De Morgan's laws to calculate I(P). Normally when we deal with these laws we have a non empty collection of sets. So, the collection of compliments is also a non empty collection. In our case here though, there are no sets to have compliments of, so there are no compliments, so Q = P and thus U(Q) = U(P) = p. Now, by De Morgan:

The compliment of the union of a collection = The intersection of the collection of compliments.

So, C(U(P)) = I(Q)

But, Q = P, so I(Q) = I(P)

Also, C(U(P)) = C(p) = X

Thus I(P) = X

Extended explanation

This is basically the key point that makes sense out of the logic of this situation. If you accept that U(P) = p and you get that Q = P, the result necessarily follows.

Another way of thinking about this involves returning to the ideas of basic set logic. Given a universe X, then any sub set A can be seen as a condition on the elements of X. EG: Consider the universe of all people visiting a fair ground. P1 = the collection containing C1 = {people taller than 130cm}, C2 = {people older than 13}, ...Cn = {people with no heart condition} ... etc. These are the conditions on a particularly dangerous fair ground ride. The intersection of this collection of sets/conditions is I(P1) = {people allowed to go on ride 1}, that is, only those people who satisfy all of the conditions. Now consider another ride, that's very safe and has no conditions of entry. This collection of conditions, P2, is empty and the intersection of this collection is I(P2) = {people allowed to go on ride 2} = X, that is, everyone.

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces and objects that are preserved under continuous deformations. It is concerned with the concepts of continuity, connectedness, and compactness, and their relationships with geometric objects.

What is a topological space?

A topological space is a set of points, along with a collection of subsets of those points, called open sets. These open sets satisfy certain axioms that allow for the definition of continuity and other topological concepts. A topological space does not necessarily have a notion of distance or angle, but it does have a notion of nearness.

What is the difference between a topological space and a metric space?

A metric space is a topological space where the notion of distance between points is defined. In a metric space, there is a specific function, called a metric, that measures the distance between any two points. In contrast, a topological space does not have a notion of distance and is defined purely in terms of open sets and their relationships.

What are some examples of topological spaces?

Some examples of topological spaces include the real line, the plane, and three-dimensional space. Other examples include graphs, surfaces, and even abstract mathematical structures. Topological spaces can also be created by taking a subset of points from a larger space and defining a topology on that subset.

What are some applications of topology?

Topology has many applications in different fields, including physics, computer science, and engineering. In physics, topology is used to study the behavior of fluids and materials. In computer science, topology is used in data analysis and image recognition. In engineering, topology optimization is used to design efficient structures and systems. Topology also has applications in biology, economics, and social sciences.