Exploring Truth: Objectively and Subjectively

• Thread starter baywax
  • Start date
In summary: But there must be more to it than that. Math is the only thing that I've been able to find that is consistent with all the evidence we have. So it must be the truth. But is it the only truth?No! There must be something else out there that is consistent with the evidence but we've yet to find it. Maybe it's something that we can't see or feel. Maybe it's something that we can't understand. But I believe there is something out there that is real and that we can rely on. In summary, fundamental mathematics are the only real truths that I've been able to conceive
ValenceE said:
baywax,

Indeed we'd be overwhelmed by the sum of it all, but I'm not sure the fact that we can't process all of it at the same time has to do with filters...

are you saying we have this capability but some evolutive filters are preventing us from deploying it?

Regardless of the answer, can you elaborate on the process that puts these filters in place ?

regards,

VE

The elaborate system of mazes and filters that protect our conscious-awareness has been "put into place" through natural selection. Over time there have been people with fewer of them, or who have been able to see beyond them. As far as I know, those people have been fewer in number comparatively speaking. And their lineage has been suppressed by "paranoid" villagers etc. You only have to look at how Copernicus's revelations were received by the authorities of his time... or how the open minds of alchemists and scientists of the dark ages were quickly shut down by those in control. This should explain the process of natural selection. Traits that lead to the demise of a family line are not continued within the species.

I wrote,

our biological nature and survival instincts are the results of natural selection and they include psychological and neurological filters that obscure the majority of the objective truths that comprise our environment and our experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
WaveJumper said:
Your senses would never tell you that your body is 99.999% empty space,

That we are much closer to being an electromagnetic phenomenon than entities of solid stuff. That the distinction between past, present and future only lies in your conscious head.

BTW, I thought you were striving for the whole Truth since it was you who started this thread about Truth.

You and I are in no position to know if our senses are picking up the fact that we are electromagnetic bundles of 99.999% empty space. We are inextricably bound by the evolutionary configurations of our neurological make up. We have eon's old blinkers on our eyes and it is difficult to see beyond them. So, our opinion is just that... an opinion biased by our biological standing.

and...

There have been quite a few advocates for truth by proximity since I last checked in. I can and will agree that as we progress in our knowledge we achieve a higher level of accuracy in our observations and predictions, that however does not equate to Truth.

The World is Flat -
Wrong, but it's closer then "The World is a shell held on the back of a giant turtle"

The World is Round -
Wrong, but it's closer than "The World is Flat"

The World is Spherical -
Still wrong, but we're getting closer

The World is an Oblate Spheroid -
Still Wrong, but hey... what the hell it's as close as we've got terms for.

This is truth by proximity. Just because the world isn't a sphere doesn't mean that's wrong. It's just less true than Oblate Spheroid. It's definitely more true than the world being round, or flat, or sitting on the back of a turtle.

None of these things are True though. No matter how close we model our reality we'll never reach True, just closer to True. That's why we settle for agreeing. We agree on subjects we can come to terms with.

Someone asked about Descartes earlier, I'd dig up the quote but I'm too lazy... and that is the truth. Descartes was mistaken in that he believed his perception of reality validated his existence. He felt as though it was the one great Truth. Cogito ergo sum. Yet we have no evidence that supports our perceptions as real. As we peer further down the rabbit hole our perceptions become more wild and grander than any of us would have believed. Does this point to reality, or does it point to an illusion that peers back and laughs at our feeble attempts of understanding?

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying. If I were a gambling man I'd venture to say that substance is substance and I'm real, and you're real, and the doggarbage sitting on my front porch is real. But that doesn't mean it is, or has to be. It could just as easily (and much easier to explain) be a line of code, or a fanciful thought, or just a string of energy that caught the perfect random form at the perfect random time.

Is this moment nothing more than the cosmic equivalent of infinite monkeys pounding out Shakespeare? Probably not, but we'll never know. That's Truth.

Last edited:
a4mula said:
There have been quite a few advocates for truth by proximity since I last checked in. I can and will agree that as we progress in our knowledge we achieve a higher level of accuracy in our observations and predictions, that however does not equate to Truth.

The World is Flat -
Wrong, but it's closer then "The World is a shell held on the back of a giant turtle"

The World is Round -
Wrong, but it's closer than "The World is Flat"

The World is Spherical -
Still wrong, but we're getting closer

The World is an Oblate Spheroid -
Still Wrong, but hey... what the hell it's as close as we've got terms for.

This is truth by proximity. Just because the world isn't a sphere doesn't mean that's wrong.
We already know that the Earth is not flat. We don't know what reality really is(precisely), but we also know what reality is not(it is not as Newton imagined, or John or Ivan imagines/perceives while they are working at the mine). If there is something to be called physical reality, it has the ability to manifest itself as a fixed structure only under certain circumstances, but not in others. Relativity meets a lot of resistance in physics circles but so does quantum theory. And yet, they are the basis of our unprecedented progress in the 21st century.
No matter how close we model our reality we'll never reach True, just closer to True.
That's how you feel. We don't know if this is certainly so, although certain current limitations in physics imply this.
Don't misconstrue what I'm saying. If I were a gambling man I'd venture to say that substance is substance and I'm real, and you're real, and the doggarbage sitting on my front porch is real. But that doesn't mean it is, or has to be. It could just as easily (and much easier to explain) be a line of code, or a fanciful thought, or just a string of energy that caught the perfect random form at the perfect random time.
By definition, everything is real, as we cannot imagine anything more real than what we perceive(although some of us have had lucid dreams that seemed more real than reality, or have used mind altering drugs - DMT, LSD, ayahuasca, etc. that produce more vivid images of unknown realities than reality itself, or even purported OBE's). Rumour has it Moses had drugged out the Israelites when he received the 10 commandments with a weed named 'ayahuasca'.

However, we should continue to question our primitive perceptions if we are to find what exists really and understand what really is happening on a more fundamental level and why.

Is this moment nothing more than the cosmic equivalent of infinite monkeys pounding out Shakespeare? Probably not, but we'll never know. That's Truth.
This very moment exists forever, as far as physics and the universe are concerned(Einstein was initially troubled by this consequence of his relativity). The hard part is to define what is to 'exist', while we are within what manifests as reality and why we don't appear to have memories from the future. All known laws of physics are time symmetrical and Time and the arrow of time might never be fully understood without delving thoroughly in what exactly is happening in our heads wrt to what we term reality or universe. This might even be the 3rd or 4th revolution in physics(if it's possible at all).Curiously, at some point physics always seems to merge or flow into philosophy.

Last edited:
ValenceE said:
and...

and... that's the truth...:tongue:

WaveJumper said:
We already know that the Earth is not flat. We don't know what reality really is(precisely), but we also know what reality is not(it is not as Newton imagined, or John or Ivan imagines/perceives while they are working at the mine). If there is something to be called physical reality, it has the ability to manifest itself as a fixed structure only under certain circumstances, but not in others. Relativity meets a lot of resistance in physics circles but so does quantum theory. And yet, they are the basis of our unprecedented progress in the 21st century.

And hence my point that what you're prescribing to is truth by proximity. I've already agreed that the greater advances we make bring us closer to understanding our observations and making more accurate predictions. This isn't argued.

That's how you feel. We don't know if this is certainly so, although certain current limitations in physics imply this.

This has nothing to do with feelings. It's reality. We know precisely that we'll never model reality to reality. If I create a perfect simulation of this universe it will not suddenly jump off my computer screen and become the universe. It's still just a model.

The beauty of this, and the ultimate underpinnings of this entire discussion is that even though my fictional model might be a perfect model, yet not real, it doesn't matter. The inhabitants of my simulation would be indifferent between the two. Much as we are.

By definition, everything is real, as we cannot imagine anything more real than what we perceive(although some of us have had lucid dreams that seemed more real than reality, or have used mind altering drugs - DMT, LSD, ayahuasca, etc. that produce more vivid images of unknown realities than reality itself, or even purported OBE's). Rumour has it Moses had drugged out the Israelites when he received the 10 commandments with a weed named 'ayahuasca'.

However, we should continue to question our primitive perceptions if we are to find what exists really and understand what really is happening on a more fundamental level and why.

Everything mentioned from obe's, to lucid dreams, to pyschoactive drugs have already been linked to actual physiological processes. They are still just a part of our 'reality'. That reality is open for debate however even if it is something that we define as Real, our definition is nothing more then self-conceived and abstract. We can not claim reality any more than the inhabitants of my fictional simulation world could.

This very moment exists forever, as far as physics and the universe are concerned(Einstein was initially troubled by this consequence of his relativity). The hard part is to define what is to 'exist', while we are within what manifests as reality and why we don't appear to have memories from the future. All known laws of physics are time symmetrical and Time and the arrow of time might never be fully understood without delving thoroughly in what exactly is happening in our heads wrt to what we term reality or universe. This might even be the 3rd or 4th revolution in physics(if it's possible at all).

Curiously, at some point physics always seems to merge or flow into philosophy.

Only if you buy into string theory, but that's neither here nor there. Time as a true dimension is debatable and is still quite far from being established. Most physicists still consider it a half dimension space-time in which it's not a infinite static arrow, rather just a byproduct of space and movement.

At the end of the day I think we're saying the same thing, we can only make truth statements based on what we perceive to exist, regardless of that truth.

WaveJumper said:
This very moment exists forever, as far as physics and the universe are concerned(Einstein was initially troubled by this consequence of his relativity).
a4mula said:
Only if you buy into string theory, but that's neither here nor there.
No, no. String theory wasn't around when Einstein came up with his relativity(see above - i specifically said 'relativity'). String theory wasn't even around in 1954 when his lifelong friend Michele Besso died. In a letter to the widow he said:"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."In relativistic models of physics, there is no place for "the present" as an absolute element of reality. The present moment when i am typing this sentence will always be there, into eternity. The moment your grandfather was born still exists, we know that, although it's now spatially inaccessible. It's all a consequence of the finiteness of the speed of light and the expansion of the universe.
Time as a true dimension is debatable and is still quite far from being established.
It's "debatable" on message boards and blogs by philosophers, not among physicists. Even a common sense example could reveal the inadequacy of such a statement - X,Y and Z are not enough to ascertain a position of an object anywhere in the universe. Put a T beside the 3 symbols and you have a position in our 4 dimensional universe. Relativity is embedded in the GPS system, without the corrections for the relative motion, the clocks of the satellites would go wrong on the very first day and your nav will take to Vancouver instead of Mexico city. Relativity is proven, the relativity model of the universe is still the most precise, it's not up for debate and time is a dimension together with the other 3.

Most physicists still consider it a half dimension space-time in which it's not a infinite static arrow, rather just a byproduct of space and movement.
Could you re-phrase or give some reference? Time definitely does not, by any means, have a static arrow. This 'arrow' can bend, twist and even fork into separate streams.

At the end of the day I think we're saying the same thing, we can only make truth statements based on what we perceive to exist, regardless of that truth.
Agreed. But i share the sentiment of Stephen Hawking - "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.”

For whatever reason intelligence has emerged in a universe that can be comprehended, it gives me some confidence that humans can describe and understand reality.

Last edited:
Judging by the large number of views of this thread in just a few days, one would think somebody would have brought up the non-local quantum realm with its quantum weirdness and what it has to say about how true our pre-conceived concepts of time and space are. I'll start with the suggestion that the true nature of the universe is quantum and non-local, and will suggest that the classical scale is an illusionary reflection of this non-local reality. As evidence of this suggestion i will cite:

1. Quantum entanglement(immense burden on our perception of space, Einstein refused to accept this ghostly action at a distance)
2. Delayed choice experiment(does away with what we perceive as past, present and future, esp. convincing at cosmological scales)
3. Delayed choice quantum eraser(same as above with new twists)
4. HUP - an electron can be anywhere in the universe if its wavelength is known precisely(this doesn't really need explaining)
5. Bell's theorem (proves with simple math that all of the above cannot be explained by a local model of the universe)
6. The holographic principle in M-theorySo if we are on a quest for the Truth, I suggest we discuss what the true nature of local realism really is. Or does anyone feel that local realism still holds in full swing?

WaveJumper said:
Judging by the large number of views of this thread in just a few days, one would think somebody would have brought up the non-local quantum realm with its quantum weirdness and what it has to say about how true our pre-conceived concepts of time and space are. I'll start with the suggestion that the true nature of the universe is quantum and non-local, and will suggest that the classical scale is an illusionary reflection of this non-local reality.
Illusory?

Let's do a physics experiment, we will launch you from one of those circus-canons, aimed at two... slits, I mean, window size openings... in a concrete wall... Assuming our aim is correct, any guesses as whether your body will create an interference pattern, or just crash into the pavement, in one spot, on the other side? And oh, which result is the illusion again?
:-)

Quantum weirdness describes what happens on the quantum scale, but that doesn't mean it's TRUTH.

JoeDawg said:
Illusory?

Let's do a physics experiment, we will launch you from one of those circus-canons, aimed at two... slits, I mean, window size openings... in a concrete wall... Assuming our aim is correct, any guesses as whether your body will create an interference pattern, or just crash into the pavement, in one spot, on the other side? And oh, which result is the illusion again?

Quantum weirdness describes what happens on the quantum scale, but that doesn't mean it's TRUTH.

I'm sure there's a probability of him getting split up creating an interference pattern.

Sorry! said:
I'm sure there's a probability of him getting split up creating an interference pattern.

Not to mention the fact, it would be kewl to watch.

JoeDawg said:
Illusory?

I thought you'd defend realism with something more than a joke. Out of all the arguments you could raise, this is clearly the worst. It's simply burying your head in the sand, pretending the problem doesn't concern you because what happens in the quantum realm is somehow irrelevant. If light, which is both a quantum and a classical object, suddenly changed its fundamental behaviour, would you keep the stance - "It doesn't concern me, i live at the macro scale"? Or would you stop using electricity because of its quantum behaviour? This one probably you don't know - the proteins in your body have the ability to transport individual atoms to repair damaged cell walls. There is no border between the quantum and classical scale, and much to your dislike the quantum exists. Oh, and you are not made from stuff, you are made from bosons and fermions. Say hi to your quantum nature.
Right, what you feel deep inside is the Truth. You should send letters to string theorists sweating on adS/CFT correspondence, anti-de Sitter space and P-branes and let them know they should stop messing with the quantum. After all it's irrelevant to the reality you feel you know so well.

BTW, your garden common-sense and intuition couldn't be more completely irrelevant to physics.

I expect that you'd counter the Mathematical Universe paper of Max Tegmark with the same scientific approach:

"Hey Dude, I mean, it's so f*cked up dude, this can't be! I will launch you from one of those circus-canons, aimed at two... slits, I mean, window size openings... in a concrete wall... Assuming our aim is correct, any guesses as whether your body will create an interference pattern, or just crash into the pavement, in one spot, on the other side? You see Max, there are no waves, no quantum weirdness, no non-locality just a cannon from which i'd launch you into the windows. Simple as that."

Last edited:
WaveJumper said:
I thought you'd defend realism with something more than an ill-thought joke.
Well, maybe that's the problem, you think I'm defending realism.
because what happens in the quantum realm is somehow irrelevant.
The 'quantum realm' is certainly relevant to physics, but not so relevant to the chicken sandwich I'm currently eating. I'm not sure why this should confuse you.
There is no border between the quantum and classical scale, and much to your dislike the quantum exists. Oh, and you are not made from stuff, you are made from bosons and fermions. Say hi to your quantum nature.
Must be nice to have all the answers. I'm envious.
Right, what you feel deep inside is the Truth. You should send letters to string theorists sweating on adS/CFT correspondence, anti-de Sitter space and P-branes and let them know they should stop messing with the quantum. After all it's irrelevant to the reality you feel you know so well.
Well, at least you've decided to be entertaining, dude.
That's all there is to it
You're the one claiming to know truth, not me.

JoeDawg said:
You're the one claiming to know truth, not me.

Really? Where did i say that? You were the one who claimed physics described reality well, to which i strongly disagreed. I specifically said that i don't know what it is, but i know how reality is not. Sorry if at some point i came across as if i had the final answers, that's not what i meant.

WaveJumper said:
Judging by the large number of views of this thread in just a few days, one would think somebody would have brought up the non-local quantum realm with its quantum weirdness and what it has to say about how true our pre-conceived concepts of time and space are. I'll start with the suggestion that the true nature of the universe is quantum and non-local, and will suggest that the classical scale is an illusionary reflection of this non-local reality. As evidence of this suggestion i will cite:

1. Quantum entanglement(immense burden on our perception of space, Einstein refused to accept this ghostly action at a distance)
2. Delayed choice experiment(does away with what we perceive as past, present and future, esp. convincing at cosmological scales)
3. Delayed choice quantum eraser(same as above with new twists)
4. HUP - an electron can be anywhere in the universe if its wavelength is known precisely(this doesn't really need explaining)
5. Bell's theorem (proves with simple math that all of the above cannot be explained by a local model of the universe)
6. The holographic principle in M-theory

So if we are on a quest for the Truth, I suggest we discuss what the true nature of local realism really is. Or does anyone feel that local realism still holds in full swing?

Because it is true that water can exist as a vapor, a liquid and as a solid as well as in a combination of these states I would vote that all of the above is probably true as well.

WaveJumper said:
Really? Where did i say that? You were the one who claimed physics described reality well, to which i strongly disagreed. I specifically said that i don't know what it is, but i know how reality is not. Sorry if at some point i came across as if i had the final answers, that's not what i meant.

Physics provides a very useful description of reality.
And science generally, provides the most useful description of the world we experience, that we seem to have access to.

Models and equations are not truth, any more or less than sensory data is. All can be useful, in different situations.

Truth in any absolute sense of the word, is an ideal, which means, it doesn't amount to much of anything.

baywax said:
Because it is true that water can exist as a vapor, a liquid and as a solid as well as in a combination of these states I would vote that all of the above is probably true as well.
Sure, such a theory fits all the observations really well. But if we are to pursue this weirdness even further, what model beside a universe that is a projection(hologram) can we logically deduce from these observations? Could a non-local and a local universe co-exist in another configuration? There is already serious empirical research into the holographic model:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.300-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram.html?full=true Or could it be that we are stretching the limits of our minds/imagination to where they are inapplicable?

Last edited:
JoeDawg said:
Physics provides a very useful description of reality.
Useful? Yes, only marginally and in a certain sense. Thorough and meaningful - no, no way, not at all in any sense. Not since the end of the 19th century.

"No development of modern science has had a more profound impact on human thinking than the advent of quantum theory. Wrenched out of centuries-old thought patterns, physicists of a generation ago found themselves compelled to embrace a new metaphysics. The distress which this reorientation caused continues to the present day. Basically physicists have suffered a severe loss: their hold on reality."

Bryce DeWitt
Neill Graham
News of the reality crisis hardly exists utside the physics community. Although worded a bit strong for most physicists tastes, this quote of Heisenberg is very telling of this reality crisis:

"The hope that new experiments will lead us back to objective events in time and space is about as well founded as the hope of discovering the end of the world in the unexplored regions of the Antarctic."

Last edited:
WaveJumper said:
Useful? Yes, only marginally and in a certain sense.
Quantum theory has provided many technological advances. I'm not sure what other sense there could be to the word 'useful' in terms of science.
News of the reality crisis hardly exists utside the physics community.
Modern science may be new to this 'reality crisis', but in philosophy its old hat, or I should say, ancient hat. The nature of reality has always been in dispute.

baywax,

in your opening post, you wrote;

Generally I'd like it if we could get some opinions on what truth is. Anyone offering an accepted or personal definition or description is welcome to do so as well.

Personally my take on what truth is... is two fold.

• One there are absolutes when it comes to truth...

• two... there is a truth for every moment in time and for every person experiencing it.

So, objectively, truth must be an absolute. While subjectively, truth is continuously changing for the person experiencing life.

Thank you!

I can't but agree with you... however give me (gimme) some time to explain myself inregards to some truth I make out of this interpretation...

regards, VE

ok, here's one take on part of it...

I'd capitalize the letter t, beginning the first, second, third and sixth word followed by the ruth letters, found in
Generally I'd like it if we could get some opinions on what truth is. Anyone offering an accepted or personal definition or description is welcome to do so as well.

• two... there is a truth for every moment in time and for every person experiencing it.

So, objectively, truth must be an absolute. While subjectively, truth is continuously changing for the person experiencing life.

Thank you!

because of the absolute nature of Truth, shared in truth.

regards,

VE

Last edited:
ok, ok... I must admit, althought i don't really need to, that I'm Truth biased...

I fully understand that we could leave it all in truth... but if you're to put an absolute on it it then must become Truth... imho that is...

VE

second edit: " aghhhhhhhh... but then again we'd have to define 'worth...' and others alike...

Last edited:
ValenceE said:
ok, ok... I must admit, althought i don't really need to, that I'm Truth biased...

I fully understand that we could leave it all in truth... but if you're to put an absolute on it it then must become Truth... imho that is...

VE

second edit: " aghhhhhhhh... but then again we'd have to define 'worth...' and others alike...

OK... but VE... Truth or truth to me isn't a value judgement. Its not a wishy washy subjective and relative state that changes from brain to brain.

Its like I said about truth = phenomenon or phenomena. These are a synonymous pair of words (truth and phenomenon). This way... even a lie, which is a phenomenon, is a truth... because it took place... and because it is true that it is a lie.

I'm trying to keep semantics and literary hijinks out of this look at truth. I only want the bare bones. Half truths, hidden truths... and all those derivatives of "the truth" are a long road of tributaries that wind through the garden... while all the while... they are part of the over all and absolute and phenomenal truth.

baywax said:
Its like I said about truth = phenomenon or phenomena. These are a synonymous pair of words (truth and phenomenon). This way... even a lie, which is a phenomenon, is a truth... because it took place... and because it is true that it is a lie.
So, we established that Truth=phenomenon. I postulated earlier that Truth=Reality, i therefore posit that Truth = the Source of reality. Would you agree?

And if we don't know how the many things we commonly experience are connected together, then we do not know the source of this ultimate Truth. So we have a pretty good grasp that Truth exists(despite the flaky foundations of the word 'exist'), so can we sum up that the one absolute Truth requires true knowledge of reality?

Something and Nothing - Two simple looking concepts that continue to baffle scientists. We cannot define what 'something' is without referring to 'nothing', and we can't define 'nothing' without referring to 'something'. What is the fundamental distinction between 'something' and 'nothing' when we die? Would you say the answer would be sufficient to become the Truth?

Wouldn't a Full description of reality require an understanding/definition of what it means to not exist? If so, would you agree that we are(best case scenario) at least millions of years away from reaching the Truth? What is the statistical chance that we survive for that long?

If one day humanity finds a causal agent responsible for the existence of the universe(i.e. certain type of god/s/), wouldn't the concept of Absolute Truth require a full description/understanding of God for it to be absolute(or even truth by itself)?

Last edited:
Hello all,

baywax, you wrote;
I'm trying to keep semantics and literary hijinks out of this look at truth. I only want the bare bones. Half truths, hidden truths... and all those derivatives of "the truth" are a long road of tributaries that wind through the garden... while all the while... they are part of the over all and absolute and phenomenal truth.

Again, we are talking about the same thing, however what I’m saying is that this ‘ over all and absolute and phenomenal truth ’ is what I call Truth with a capital T, the same Truth that JoeDawg refers to as
Truth in any absolute sense of the word, is an ideal, which means, it doesn't amount to much of anything.

JoeDawg, I have to say that not only does this Truth amount to All that can be amounted for, but, like any other ‘good’ ideal, it is worth pursuing and could be taken as a beacon, something to strive for, in the pursuit of happiness and other meaningful realities that are available to us.

As I see it, and imo, it’s important to make the distinction between truth as what we can grasp, comprehend and hopefully use in our daily lives and Truth, something more in the sense of faith, physically inaccessible but nevertheless basis for, and source of any truth.

Let me give an example that will picture this in a more concrete way;

The setting can be anywhere in the world, although in some areas it could be more difficult to realize in truth than others… so, anyway, here it is;

There’s a need for a big project, could be housing, water plant, energy related construction, or anything that a local population might have a real need for…

In truth, which is the human interpretation opened to any subjectiveness, this project, depending on the financial burden, would or wouldn’t start, could or couldn’t ever be completed… not enough money.

In Truth, which is the absolute description, not a single penny is required to start and complete this project. All that is needed are apt men/women, engineers, architects, any and all needed crafts, ordinary workers and gofers alike… all under the ruling goal of the project to be realized. Money is no object.

So, in this illustration, we can clearly see the difference between what the human can comprehend, a 'higher' truth, and what he is able to do, is allowed to do or allow himself to do. There are so many of these little truths we’re just having such a hard time transforming into Truth, that indeed it all looks like ideals and utopia, something I call the ‘worst illusion’.

Regards,

VE

ValenceE said:
Hello all,
JoeDawg, I have to say that not only does this Truth amount to All that can be amounted for, but, like any other ‘good’ ideal, it is worth pursuing and could be taken as a beacon, something to strive for, in the pursuit of happiness and other meaningful realities that are available to us.
I see nothing wrong with pursuing an ideal, in fact ideals can be very useful as goals, but an ideal by its nature is an incomplete thing, it doesn't exist in the same way a concrete perception exists.

I can say its true that I am a sitting in a chair, and I can say it is true that I intend to continue sitting in a chair, but there is no inherent truth to 'sitting'. Similarly, when someone talks about an ideal, something like TRUTH, we aren't talking about true things, but are rather referring to a concept, an abstraction.
As I see it, and imo, it’s important to make the distinction between truth as what we can grasp, comprehend and hopefully use in our daily lives and Truth, something more in the sense of faith, physically inaccessible but nevertheless basis for, and source of any truth.
If its inacessible then how do you know it. Faith doesn't much interest me, as I tend to view it as nothing more than unsupported opinion.
In Truth, which is the absolute description, not a single penny is required to start and complete this project. All that is needed are apt men/women, engineers, architects, any and all needed crafts, ordinary workers and gofers alike… all under the ruling goal of the project to be realized. Money is no object.
I would say, not taking money into account makes it an illusion. This is what I was referring to actually, the Truth you are talking about is simply concepts completely stripped of their context. Which means they are stripped of accuracy, and value, imo. Taking money out of the equation can be a useful excercise for those planning a project, but the reality of the situation demands you put in back in before any 'truth' occurs.

Ideals can be useful, but in themselves they are empty.

baywax said:
Generally I'd like it if we could get some opinions on what truth is.

I didn't read any other posts. I want to ponder this question on my own and not be influenced by others.

Here is my definition: Truth is something that has yet to be proven false. A truth is only an absolute truth when we take the limit of truth as time approaches positive and negative infinity and discover that it is still true.

buffordboy23 said:
I didn't read any other posts. I want to ponder this question on my own and not be influenced by others.

Here is my definition: Truth is something that has yet to be proven false. A truth is only an absolute truth when we take the limit of truth as time approaches positive and negative infinity and discover that it is still true.

That seems correct. And we can't verify it since our awareness won't last that long. So, it may be just an ideal to imagine an absolute truth... much like an absolute zero.

buffordboy23 said:

Do I understand your position to be similar to Einstein's in the EPR paradox in that you believe there is an underlying reality independent of whether we can detect or test it?

buffordboy23 said:
Truth[/I] is something that has yet to be proven false. A truth is only an absolute truth when we take the limit of truth as time approaches positive and negative infinity and discover that it is still true.

At first I agree then I think about it and realize that positive and negative infinity are as much imaginary ideals as absolute truth since there is no way to verify that "infinity" exists beyond mathematical models of it.

skeptic2 said:
Do I understand your position to be similar to Einstein's in the EPR paradox in that you believe there is an underlying reality independent of whether we can detect or test it?

I am vaguely familiar with the EPR paradox. I would say no. Reality should be testable. My definition initially assumes that all things are true, and it is only later that we find them to be false.

baywax said:
At first I agree then I think about it and realize that positive and negative infinity are as much imaginary ideals as absolute truth since there is no way to verify that "infinity" exists beyond mathematical models of it.

Yes, I agree they are imaginary ideals. I used them in my definition b/c our knowledge and thinking is too simplistic to confidently define the bounds of time for our reality, in regard to both the future and the past as measured from this exact moment. Therefore, the definition inherently covers all bounds of time.

baywax said:

Thank you!

* What makes you believe there is an absolute truth?
* How would we know truth if we discovered it?
* How could we ever be sure that what we accept as truth will never be contradicted by some other discovery?
* Why does everyone seem to have a different version of the truth.
* If our perceptions are the only way we can know our environment and if our perceptions can be easily fooled, as the psychologists say, how can we ever be sure our perceptions accurately represent truth or reality?

I remember thinking when I was about 12 how the more intelligent a person was the more easily he should be able to see through all the illogical beliefs of most people, so as you go up the intelligence scale, one should see their philosophical beliefs converge on the truth. Boy was I ever wrong. The diversity of beliefs among the intelligent is just as great if not greater than among the general population.

buffordboy23 said:
Yes, I agree they are imaginary ideals. I used them in my definition b/c our knowledge and thinking is too simplistic to confidently define the bounds of time for our reality, in regard to both the future and the past as measured from this exact moment. Therefore, the definition inherently covers all bounds of time.

There is some question as to whether time, succession and sequence are errantly based on a biological perspective of quantum time.

Abstract

In quantum mechanics, time plays a role unlike any other observable. We find that measuring whether an event happened, and measuring when an event happened are fundamentally different - the two measurements do not correspond to compatible observables and interfere with each other. We also propose a basic limitation on measurements of the arrival time of a free particle given by where is the particle's kinetic energy. The temporal order of events is also an ambiguous concept in quantum mechanics. It is not always possible to determine whether one event lies in the future or past of another event. One cannot measure whether one particle arrives to a particular location before or after another particle if they arrive within a time of of each other, where is the total kinetic energy of the two particles. These new inaccuracy limitations are dynamical in nature, and fundamentally different from the Heisenberg uncertainty relations. They refer to individual measurements of a single quantity. It is hoped that by understanding the role of time in quantum mechanics, we may gain new insight into the role of time in a quantum theory of gravity.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/jono/thesis.html

People like the ones who wrote this paper are studying the microcosm of quantum mechanics and finding that time is not as cut and dried as it appears to the average person on the street.

So, I would propose that Truth not be determined by "how long" its been true but determined by simply if it is true or not... as in... "is it happening?", "is the observer interacting with the phenomenon in the present?"... and this has to be verified by the observer and the phenomenon "experiencing" one another simultaneously. This would apply to experiencing a "thought" and could apply to experiencing a "tree" or "wave ".

This is not to say that our perception of time is untrue, since it too is a phenomenon we utilize and endure ... I'm only saying that our perception of time may not sufficiently act as a phenomenon that can be used to verify a truth.