1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Unity?

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    I came across this term in Elements of Modern X-ray Physics by Nielsen. I'm assuming this term isn't specific to the book (because that would be ridiculous). I've always taken math courses geared toward Physics/Engineering so some math terms were never used so this is probably one of them.

I'm assuming it is somehow equivalent to 1. I just don't know why the author did not say 1 instead of unity.

The context in which it was used was

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2
    It's really just a word used to sound more pretentious than saying "one." It might be handy to distinguish 1 of some unit of measure versus 1 as a pure number, but that's about it.

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
    I suppose it makes sense to use unity instead of 1 for units. Especially in a Physics textbook.

Thank you sir and/or ma'am.

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4
    Unity is a unitless one. It is also used extensively in ring theory so that the theorems can be extended to systems that do not use numbers. I doubt the second part is the reason in an X-ray physics book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook