What it takes to get into M.S. program in MIT

In summary, the person is an undergraduate student studying Mechanical Engineering in India and has a goal of getting into MIT for graduate school in 3 years. They are very research-oriented and love coming up with new theories and solving problems. They are seeking advice on how to improve their chances of getting into MIT and are aware that good grades and strong English skills are important. They also have a passion for mathematics and physics and are considering publishing a solution manual for a difficult problem book. They have some concerns about their extracurricular activities and are seeking guidance on what qualities MIT looks for in applicants. They also mention that they have searched online for information on MIT's graduate admissions process and are considering applying for a PhD program instead of just a MS degree
saubhik
The title says it all, but I am going to introduce myself first.

Right now, I am pursuing (and enjoying) Bachelor's degree course in Mechanical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India. It has just been a little more than 2.5 months since I joined college. I have been dreaming to study at MIT for the past 4-5 years but didn't give SAT for the undergraduate courses due to financial and other reasons. So I have set a goal before me: to get to MIT after 3 more years. I am very research-minded (or whatever you call it). If I come across an interesting problem, I ponder over it single-mindedly for hours and sometimes days. I love ideas, concepts, theories and try to make a generalized theory from different problems. In short, I love making new theories and finding out unconventional ways of solving problems. My best friends always tell me that I would make a great researcher (& I hope this comes true!). I am very bad at games/sports/instruments etc. So, I haven't got much extra-curricular intuitions (which is undesirable).
I have been searching the web for what it takes to get a M.S. from MIT, but I would like to take your opinions. I know that getting letters of recommendation is very important, and I have been searching for projects at many research institutes in my city.(but didn't get much till now.. :( )

I want to use my next 3 years wisely and sincerely enough to get an admission in MIT and with an outstanding CV. Please illuminate me on what different things I would need to do, that would give me an edge over others.

PS(s):
[1] I know that that I have to give the GRE and my english isn't that strong, so strengthening my english is one of the things I need to work on.
[2] In case you need it, I love mathematics and physics. I would love to work on math-based and physics-based projects. To publish a solution-manual to one of the hardest problem books available has been in my to-do list.
[3] My name is Saubhik Mukherjee, age:18, male. (in case, u need to address me :P )

Thanks for helping me. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, apart from the obvious "get good grades" it helps to look through M.I.T.'s website and know everything there is to know about the place. Be an enthusiast.

Second, I am not sure how well this applies to post graduates, but they look for people with hobbies. People with personality. Just have a general search on their website (for undergraduate admissions) and somewhere they list a general set of qualities that matters to them (on their official website).

Oh and if I were you, I would remove your name from the post (at the very least just your surname) :)

Good luck!

I googled "MIT mechanical engineering graduate admissions" and got a page of useful links.

Or just do what Vanadium 50 mentioned lol. I always seem to fail to mention the obvious :)

I m wondering why you chose jadavpur university. You could have joined IISC Banglore which is paradise for researchers in India. And why engineering ? my advice is go for pure science. you can give a try next year. keep up

GregJ said:
Second, I am not sure how well this applies to post graduates, but they look for people with hobbies. People with personality.

I don't think that applies anywhere beyond undergraduate admissions.

GregJ said:
Second, I am not sure how well this applies to post graduates, but they look for people with hobbies.

I think this is pretty much the opposite of what grad schools want. For graduate school, your hobby needs to be research, research, and on the side, research.

Usually, schools don't fund people who are getting just an MS degree. Perhaps if you apply and get into a PhD program.

1. What are the minimum requirements for admission into the M.S. program at MIT?

The minimum requirements for admission into the M.S. program at MIT include a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and competitive scores on standardized tests such as the GRE.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in a specific field to get into the M.S. program at MIT?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific background to get into the M.S. program at MIT. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in the field you wish to pursue your degree in.

3. What is the average GPA of admitted students in the M.S. program at MIT?

The average GPA of admitted students in the M.S. program at MIT varies depending on the department and program. Generally, a GPA of 3.5 or above is considered competitive.

4. Are research experience and publications necessary for admission into the M.S. program at MIT?

Research experience and publications are not necessary for admission into the M.S. program at MIT, but they can significantly strengthen your application. If you do not have research experience, you can highlight other relevant experiences and skills in your application.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting into the M.S. program at MIT?

To improve your chances of getting into the M.S. program at MIT, you can focus on maintaining a strong academic record, gaining relevant research experience, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and preparing thoroughly for standardized tests. It is also important to showcase your passion and dedication for your field of study in your application.