What it takes to get into M.S. program in MIT

• Thread starter saubhik
  • Start date
The title says it all, but I am going to introduce myself first.

Right now, I am pursuing (and enjoying) Bachelor's degree course in Mechanical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India. It has just been a little more than 2.5 months since I joined college. I have been dreaming to study at MIT for the past 4-5 years but didn't give SAT for the undergraduate courses due to financial and other reasons. So I have set a goal before me: to get to MIT after 3 more years. I am very research-minded (or whatever you call it). If I come across an interesting problem, I ponder over it single-mindedly for hours and sometimes days. I love ideas, concepts, theories and try to make a generalized theory from different problems. In short, I love making new theories and finding out unconventional ways of solving problems. My best friends always tell me that I would make a great researcher (& I hope this comes true!). I am very bad at games/sports/instruments etc. So, I haven't got much extra-curricular intuitions (which is undesirable).
I have been searching the web for what it takes to get a M.S. from MIT, but I would like to take your opinions. I know that getting letters of recommendation is very important, and I have been searching for projects at many research institutes in my city.(but didn't get much till now.. :( )

I want to use my next 3 years wisely and sincerely enough to get an admission in MIT and with an outstanding CV. Please illuminate me on what different things I would need to do, that would give me an edge over others.

PS(s):
[1] I know that that I have to give the GRE and my english isn't that strong, so strengthening my english is one of the things I need to work on.
[2] In case you need it, I love mathematics and physics. I would love to work on math-based and physics-based projects. To publish a solution-manual to one of the hardest problem books available has been in my to-do list.
[3] My name is Saubhik Mukherjee, age:18, male. (in case, u need to address me :P )

Thanks for helping me. :)

Answers and Replies

Well, apart from the obvious "get good grades" it helps to look through M.I.T.'s website and know everything there is to know about the place. Be an enthusiast.

Second, I am not sure how well this applies to post graduates, but they look for people with hobbies. People with personality. Just have a general search on their website (for undergraduate admissions) and somewhere they list a general set of qualities that matters to them (on their official website).

Oh and if I were you, I would remove your name from the post (at the very least just your surname) :)

Good luck!

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I googled "MIT mechanical engineering graduate admissions" and got a page of useful links.

Or just do what Vanadium 50 mentioned lol. I always seem to fail to mention the obvious :)

I m wondering why you chose jadavpur university. You could have joined IISC Banglore which is paradise for researchers in India. And why engineering ? my advice is go for pure science. you can give a try next year. keep up

Second, I am not sure how well this applies to post graduates, but they look for people with hobbies. People with personality.
I don't think that applies anywhere beyond undergraduate admissions.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Second, I am not sure how well this applies to post graduates, but they look for people with hobbies.
I think this is pretty much the opposite of what grad schools want. For graduate school, your hobby needs to be research, research, and on the side, research.

Usually, schools don't fund people who are getting just an MS degree. Perhaps if you apply and get into a PhD program.