1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What it takes to get into M.S. program in MIT

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    The title says it all, but I am going to introduce myself first.

Right now, I am pursuing (and enjoying) Bachelor's degree course in Mechanical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India. It has just been a little more than 2.5 months since I joined college. I have been dreaming to study at MIT for the past 4-5 years but didn't give SAT for the undergraduate courses due to financial and other reasons. So I have set a goal before me: to get to MIT after 3 more years. I am very research-minded (or whatever you call it). If I come across an interesting problem, I ponder over it single-mindedly for hours and sometimes days. I love ideas, concepts, theories and try to make a generalized theory from different problems. In short, I love making new theories and finding out unconventional ways of solving problems. My best friends always tell me that I would make a great researcher (& I hope this comes true!). I am very bad at games/sports/instruments etc. So, I haven't got much extra-curricular intuitions (which is undesirable).
    I have been searching the web for what it takes to get a M.S. from MIT, but I would like to take your opinions. I know that getting letters of recommendation is very important, and I have been searching for projects at many research institutes in my city.(but didn't get much till now.. :( )

I want to use my next 3 years wisely and sincerely enough to get an admission in MIT and with an outstanding CV. Please illuminate me on what different things I would need to do, that would give me an edge over others.

PS(s):
    [1] I know that that I have to give the GRE and my english isn't that strong, so strengthening my english is one of the things I need to work on.
    [2] In case you need it, I love mathematics and physics. I would love to work on math-based and physics-based projects. To publish a solution-manual to one of the hardest problem books available has been in my to-do list.
    [3] My name is Saubhik Mukherjee, age:18, male. (in case, u need to address me :P )

Thanks for helping me. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    Well, apart from the obvious "get good grades" it helps to look through M.I.T.'s website and know everything there is to know about the place. Be an enthusiast.

Second, I am not sure how well this applies to post graduates, but they look for people with hobbies. People with personality. Just have a general search on their website (for undergraduate admissions) and somewhere they list a general set of qualities that matters to them (on their official website).

Oh and if I were you, I would remove your name from the post (at the very least just your surname) :)

Good luck!

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I googled "MIT mechanical engineering graduate admissions" and got a page of useful links.

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    Or just do what Vanadium 50 mentioned lol. I always seem to fail to mention the obvious :)

6. Oct 15, 2011 #5
    I m wondering why you chose jadavpur university. You could have joined IISC Banglore which is paradise for researchers in India. And why engineering ? my advice is go for pure science. you can give a try next year. keep up

7. Oct 16, 2011 #6
    I don't think that applies anywhere beyond undergraduate admissions.

8. Oct 16, 2011 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think this is pretty much the opposite of what grad schools want. For graduate school, your hobby needs to be research, research, and on the side, research.

9. Oct 16, 2011 #8
    Usually, schools don't fund people who are getting just an MS degree. Perhaps if you apply and get into a PhD program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook