1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What job should i be thinking of?

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    Hey, although im 14, i have known for a long time that i want to be a physicist. My dream job would be to work at the LHC or at fermilab. I was wandering what universities offer great physics courses in the UK and would be right for me. I have an IQ of 162, and enjoy maths and physics.
    What universities should i be aiming for?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2

fss

1. IQ doesn't matter.
    2. Coursework doesn't matter (to a point).
    3. Go to a university with a group at CERN or Fermilab (which probably won't be open when you get to that point) and get a job with that group.
    4. Don't go into it with the mindset that the only job for you is at CERN/Fermilab. I know plenty of grad students whose plan didn't survive first contact.

4. Jul 30, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Coursework is pretty much standard everywhere you go. Your main goal, like fss said, is to look for a university connected with CERN. That's basically all you need to. Nothing you really do right now or even for the next 4-6 years will have any impact on you getting a job at CERN. Just do well in your classwork, self-study when possible, maybe even learn a couple programming languages (this last one being actually pretty important) such as C/C++. That's pretty much the best anyone can do at your age.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook