What job should i be thinking of?

In summary, the individual is 14 years old and has known for a long time that they want to be a physicist. They are interested in working at the LHC or Fermilab and are asking for recommendations on universities in the UK that offer excellent physics courses. They have an IQ of 162 and enjoy math and physics. The conversation also mentions that IQ and coursework do not matter as much as going to a university connected with CERN or Fermilab and gaining experience with a group at one of these organizations. It is also advised not to have the mindset that the only job for them is at CERN or Fermilab and to focus on doing well in classwork, self-studying, and learning programming languages.
nickthrop101
Hey, although I am 14, i have known for a long time that i want to be a physicist. My dream job would be to work at the LHC or at fermilab. I was wandering what universities offer great physics courses in the UK and would be right for me. I have an IQ of 162, and enjoy maths and physics.
What universities should i be aiming for?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. IQ doesn't matter.
2. Coursework doesn't matter (to a point).
3. Go to a university with a group at CERN or Fermilab (which probably won't be open when you get to that point) and get a job with that group.
4. Don't go into it with the mindset that the only job for you is at CERN/Fermilab. I know plenty of grad students whose plan didn't survive first contact.

Coursework is pretty much standard everywhere you go. Your main goal, like fss said, is to look for a university connected with CERN. That's basically all you need to. Nothing you really do right now or even for the next 4-6 years will have any impact on you getting a job at CERN. Just do well in your classwork, self-study when possible, maybe even learn a couple programming languages (this last one being actually pretty important) such as C/C++. That's pretty much the best anyone can do at your age.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a job?

When deciding on a job, it is important to consider your skills, interests, values, and career goals. Think about what you are good at and enjoy doing, and also what is important to you in terms of work-life balance, salary, and potential for growth.

2. How do I know what job is right for me?

One way to determine what job is right for you is to take a career assessment test or work with a career counselor. These tools can help identify your strengths, interests, and personality traits, and match them with potential job options.

3. Should I follow my passion or choose a practical job?

This is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer. Some people find fulfillment in pursuing their passions, while others prioritize job stability and financial security. It's important to find a balance and consider factors such as job market demand and potential for growth in your chosen field.

4. What job opportunities are in demand currently?

Some of the fastest growing job fields currently include healthcare, technology, and renewable energy. However, it's important to research the job market in your specific area and consider your own skills and interests when deciding on a job.

5. How can I gain experience in a new field?

If you are interested in a new field, consider taking courses or workshops, volunteering, or interning in that field to gain experience and make connections. Networking and building relationships with professionals in the field can also be helpful in finding job opportunities.