1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What jobs can you get with a Bachelors in Applied Math!

1. Jun 22, 2013 #1
    So, I am majoring in Applied Mathematics at Fresno Pacific University and was just wondering what sorts of jobs I could get with my major. My school career services is kind of useless to be honest and ive already talked to them... I was just wondering what you all thought? I have always wanted to do engineering but my school does not have it... Thanks for the responses!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

All the applied math majors I know have academic or government jobs ... building statistical models and um stuff.

4. Jun 23, 2013 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Programming jobs come to mind, but you will need to take some classes on it while you're in school. Also, check out actuarial jobs.

5. Jun 24, 2013 #4
    If you aren't planning on pursuing further studies in mathematics, there are still many jobs available. Some areas in finance, economics, national defence. There are many resources online that talk about such positions,
    for instance,
    http://www.toroidalsnark.net/mathcareers.html

is one I stumbled on.
    If you really do want to do engineering though, maybe you should look at transferring schools, or looking at possible outside funding you could get so that you could pursue what you really want to do, or decide if it is a viable option.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook