What kind of differential equation is this

In summary, the conversation discusses a real-world problem modeled by a first order linear ODE, which is solvable analytically through classical methods. The equation is linear in terms of the sought function S, but not necessarily in terms of the variable t. It can also be solved using separable equations.
fishingspree2
I am trying to solve a real-world problem, and I have modeled it with the following equation:
[tex]\frac{dS}{dt}-3\left (\frac{150-S}{100-t} \right )+\frac{2S}{100+t}=0[/tex]

What kind of differential equation is that? Is it solvable analytically ?
Maple tells me it is linear, but I don't see how...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I forget what that is called, but it is linear and easily solved. Clear denominators
(t-100)(t+100)s'(t) = (t+500) s(t)-450 t-45000
solve
(t-100)(t+100) s'(t) = (t+500) s(t)
use that to solve the original
naturally terms like
(t-100)m(t+100)n
arise

Last edited:
fishingspree2 said:
I am trying to solve a real-world problem, and I have modeled it with the following equation:
[tex]\frac{dS}{dt}-3\left (\frac{150-S}{100-t} \right )+\frac{2S}{100+t}=0[/tex]

It is a first order linear ODE
Of course it is easy to solve it, thanks to classical method.
"Linear" means linear relatively to the sought function S (There is no S² nor other functions of S. There are only S and S' in the equation).
It doesn't mean linear relatively to the variable t.

Last edited:
Write: dS/dt + f(t)S = g(t).

fishingspree2 said:

Looks like rate of equation that determines solution or volume of liquid into a tank and out. Again it is solvable via separable equations.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many physical and natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method used to solve a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used.

4. What is the importance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations are essential in science because they allow us to model and better understand complex systems in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. They also help us make predictions and solve real-world problems.

5. Can differential equations be used in multiple disciplines?

Yes, differential equations have applications in many different disciplines such as physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, economics, and more. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing natural and physical phenomena in various fields of study.