What kind of math do I include in THIS?

• Thread starter Ashleyz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a rocket on a ramp and determining the specific type of differential equation needed to solve it. The problem involves the rocket starting from rest and using propellant at a constant rate until it burns out, at which point it becomes a projectile. The individual asking for help has not studied differential equations before and is looking for guidance on which section to refer to in order to solve the problem. They clarify that they are seeking understanding and not just a copy and paste solution. The problem involves conservation of momentum and the individual is unsure if they need to include a differential equation, and if so, what type. They mention that the first part of the problem, involving the changing mass of the propellant,
Ashleyz
Here is the problem. The only help I need with this is
to determine the SPECIFIC type of defferential equations to use.
(if any at all)
i.e, 1st ODE's, ect.

A rocket starts from rest on a ramp.

Its propellant is consumed at a constant rate for a certain time.

The propellent burns out after a certain time.

Now the rocket is a projectile. It will land due to gravity at a certain D (distance) from ramp.

Physics news on Phys.org
This site is great, but I have never studied Diff. Eq. and need
to know what section I need to look at in order to solve the problem.

I need to understand, not copy and past.

Why not post your problem in more detail, and show us how far you've gotten and where you're stuck?

Read my first post.

This is a problem I am putting together(it is not homework) and need help only on
deciding if I need to include a differential equation.
If I do, then what kind? I have never taken a class on D.E's, so need help narrowing down what type.

The problem is conservation of momentum, and I am only working with variables at first.

The first part is the hard part, as the M(mass) of the P(propellent) is changing with time.
-this is the part that I believe I may need to include some ODE's.

I have made the 2nd part to this problem easy, bc the fuel runs out, and now we are dealing with an easy projectile.

Related to What kind of math do I include in THIS?

1. What kind of math do I include in algebraic equations?

Algebraic equations involve basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They also include variables and symbols like x, y, and z, which represent unknown quantities that can be solved for using the given information.

2. What kind of math do I include in geometry problems?

Geometry problems involve the study of shapes, angles, and their properties. This includes concepts such as perimeter, area, volume, and geometric proofs. Basic algebraic skills are also necessary for solving some geometry problems.

3. What kind of math do I include in calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and is divided into two main branches: differential calculus and integral calculus. It involves concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Algebra and trigonometry are also important for solving calculus problems.

4. What kind of math do I include in statistics?

Statistics is the study of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting numerical data. It involves concepts such as mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and probability. Basic algebraic and arithmetic skills are necessary for performing statistical calculations.

5. What kind of math do I include in physics equations?

Physics equations involve mathematical expressions that describe the relationship between physical quantities, such as distance, time, velocity, and acceleration. These equations often include algebraic operations, trigonometric functions, and calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals.