Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of physical force does the earth's magnetic field exert on any object?

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    Firstly let me waste a bit of your time by explaining I have not done much with maths or physics for ages! So please forgive my stupidity.

My question:
    What kind of physical force does the earth's magnetic field exert on any object on earth?

My calculations (very probably deeply flawed):
    Google says the earth's magnetic field is 0.3 - 0.7 Gauss in strength.
    This is equal to 0.00003 - 0.00007 Tesla
    T= 1(N/A*m)

I assumed:
    N = newton
    A = Area / surface in m2
    m = mass of the (magnetic?) body(?) in kg

So the force on an object (weight: 1kg / contact area with ground: 1m2) would be:

T = N = 0.00003 - 0.00007 Newton

Now after someone has pounded my math into dust I still wonder if this only applies to a place on earth where the magnetic field lines are at a 90 degree angle with the earth's surface? And what would apply for a place around the equator for example?

Any comments are welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, it is Newton per Ampere - meter. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    The Earth's magnetic field produces only torques on magnets like compass needles, because the compass needle is a magnetic dipole, equivalent to a magnetic monopole at each end. If we had any free monopoles around, they would be pulled to either the North pole (near Greenland) or the South pole (near Antartica).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook