What kind of space is the space of spinors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spinor spaces, which are a type of vector space over the field of complex numbers. The conversation also mentions the connection between spinor spaces and complex vector spaces, as well as the importance of understanding the algebraic structure and geometric meaning of complex numbers.
davi2686
Hi, i don't find much about spinor spaces. I can think in that spaces like a vector space above the field of complex numbers (a complex vector space)?

sorry if what i saying is a non-sense, but i really want to understand better the math behind the concept of a spinor.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Simon Bridge, I am already seen before the wikipedia article but is the only place until now I am read about spinor space as a complex vector space, because of this i had a doubt about the statement.

(1) So complex vector space and spinor space are the same thing or spinor space are a particular case of a complex vector space?

(2) I am still don't found a book which make that connection (about spinor space and complex vector space) can you indicate me one?

thanks again

Hey davi2686.

You might want to look at the multiplication table / matrix structure to understand the algebra in specific detail.

It also helps to look at complex numbers in terms of Grassmann algebras (exterior/inner products and bi-vectors) and in the different high level complex number algebras in a variety of dimension and understanding the geometric meaning of how the multiplication tables correspond to rotations and scaling in a particular space.

The linear algebra decomposition of a space in terms of rotation, scaling, and possible translation can help visualize what is really going on.

1. What is a spinor?

A spinor is a mathematical object that represents the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a complex vector that is used to describe the spin of a particle, and is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

2. What does the space of spinors represent?

The space of spinors represents the possible states of a particle with a given spin. It is a mathematical space that describes the properties and behavior of spinors, and is used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of particles with spin.

3. How is the space of spinors different from other mathematical spaces?

The space of spinors is a complex mathematical space that has different properties and transformations compared to other spaces, such as vector spaces. It is specifically designed to represent the spin of a particle and has unique mathematical operations, such as spin transformations and rotations.

4. What is the significance of the space of spinors in physics?

The space of spinors is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles with spin, which is a fundamental property of matter. It is used in various physical theories, such as quantum mechanics and relativity, to accurately describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. How is the space of spinors used in practical applications?

The space of spinors has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, quantum computing, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It is also used in engineering and materials science to model the behavior of materials with spin properties. Understanding the space of spinors can lead to advancements in technology and scientific research.