1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What knowledge do I need to go into nuclear physics?

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    Hello all.
    I was just wondering what kind of things I would need to know if I wanted to become a nuclear physicist? I'll be honest, I've never been very strong in any math or science. Almost every teacher I've had in math or science has pretty much crushed what little confidence I had in both topics. However, I'm two years out of high school, dropped out after my first year of university where I was studying music, and all I can think about is getting better at math and science and going back to school. I've had the idea of nuclear physics in my mind for 5 years, since my only science class where I felt I could actually accomplish things because my teacher was so good. My teacher was so good he interested me in the smallest unit of the curriculum. Nuclear physics.
    Now, I want to know what it takes. I want to know what I need, and where I need to start. What is the direction I should be heading in, and what areas should I be studying?
    I've already started studying up on math and physics on my own to try to get better. I don't have much confidence in my skills in the topic, but I want to change that.
    If anyone can help me and give me some instruction on the direction I should be taking, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You need a BS in physics, then a PhD in physics (6-8 more years) then typically two 3-year postdoctoral position and then you can start working independently on nuclear physics.

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3

Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook