Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Level of Math is Needed to Do Computer Science (Bachelor's)?

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    For a CS Bachelor's, what is the highest degree of math needed (and what is the highest used - optionally)?

Greatly appreciate the help and feedback!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2
    That really depends on the university, but on an overall standard I believe it would be....

At my university it's 3 semesters of calculus and Linear Algebra (Highest degree I suppose).

However, I've heard that in the US some universities don't make distinction between computer science and computer engineering but take the latter as a specialization inside their computer science curriculum. I mention it because at mine they are two separated disciplines and the latter requires 2 more courses in math. In the case of you actually referring to computer engineering with the words "computer science" then it would be more like:

3 semesters of calculus
    Differential Equations (Highest Degree)
    1 Math Elective

Highest used? I don't know, I would make sure to learn them all well, just in case. That's my opinion.

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

This should be included in the degree plan for the college you're attending or plan to attend.

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are a number of schools that only require freshman level calculus for a computer science major. There are some that don't even require that! Some require calculus and linear algebra. A very few, even more.

How much mathematics is required depends very much on the school.

6. Apr 6, 2014 #5

harborsparrow

Gold Member

Statistics and probability are typically also required--and are useful in a wide variety of software these days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook