What Math to learn for Cosmology?

• Thread starter freeelectron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary: I still don't understand everything about it).In summary, you should start by reading Barbara Ryden- Introduction to Cosmology 2nd Edition, watching the Leonard Susskind videos on youtube, and then moving on to more advanced books.
freeelectron
Summary: Roadmap of most useful math to learn to better understand cosmology

I just watched ~20 hours of a serie of videos about cosmology, which stayed at a conceptual level for easier understanding (= minimal math).
I understood about 98% of it and now have a decent understanding of Special/General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, the Standard Model and some more speculative stuff about Quantum Gravity.

This said, it was frustrating to be quite lost every time the guy was explaining even the most basic math behind it all.

Assuming I'm still quite comfortable with basic algebra (I also studied derivative, integral, etc in high school, but forgot most of it), I'm wondering what parts of math I should have a look at to get at least a better understanding of the math used in astrophyics.

My question is double:
- What would be a natural roadmap from here on (still focusing on astrophysics and cosmology), either in order of usefulness or in order of natural learning
- Any resources (books, videos,...) you recommend for this

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
free electron said:
- What would be a natural roadmap from here on (still focusing on astrophysics and cosmology), either in order of usefulness or in order of natural learning

- Any resources (books, videos,...) you recommend for this
For undergrad level cosmology you need to know calculus and some basic knowledge about differential equations. After learning the math part you can focus on the physics part of the cosmology. Most of the physics/Cosmology textbooks have modern physics / SR/ GR parts so I think the important thing is learning the math behind those things and understand the basic concepts about them.

First, you should start by reading Barbara Ryden- Introduction to Cosmology 2nd Edition. At the same time, you can watch the Leonard Susskind videos on youtube.

free-electron said:
I just watched ~20 hours of a series of videos about cosmology, which stayed at a conceptual level for easier understanding (= minimal math).

I bet this was Leonard Susskind videos :p

After finishing Barbara Ryden you should start reading Matts Roos btw if you find the 3rd edition don't try to read it. Notations are kind of complex and he fixes that in 4th edition.

And when you finish Matts Roos then you can move to more advanced books.

I am not sure what to suggest about calculus textbooks but there are many online/books resources so I am sure you can find someone best fits for you.

Likes freeelectron
freeelectron said:
Summary: Roadmap of most useful math to learn to better understand cosmology

I just watched ~20 hours of a serie of videos about cosmology, which stayed at a conceptual level for easier understanding (= minimal math).
I understood about 98% of it and now have a decent understanding of Special/General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, the Standard Model and some more speculative stuff about Quantum Gravity.

This said, it was frustrating to be quite lost every time the guy was explaining even the most basic math behind it all.

Your knowledge of these subjects after 20 hours of videos cannot be more than superficial. SR, GR, QM and the standard model of particle physics. All in 20 hours?

You're only kidding yourself.

Students spend years at university to understand the basics of these four subjects.

Likes dsaun777, Vanadium 50 and phinds
PeroK said:
Your knowledge of these subjects after 20 hours of videos cannot be more than superficial. SR, GR, QM and the standard model of particle physics. All in 20 hours?

You're only kidding yourself.

Students spend years at university to understand the basics of these four subjects.
what he said (very small).jpg

GR and QM in particular. You might get a fair amount of SR but not the rest in such a short amount of time.

Likes member 587159 and PeroK
To restate this another way, the reason why you're getting lost in the math is it takes a lot more than 20 hours to get your head around the math. And much of the math is pretty specific to the physics involved. The math basis is calculus, but the notations and ways this math is used in physics really requires lots of work and practice beyond that.

If you really want to get into this, it's going to take a lot of time. If you can work up a basic understanding of calculus, that will be enough to get started. Then you'd just have to slog through physics textbooks to really get a handle on the details. Lecture videos can help guide you, but if you really want understanding it's going to take time.

This is honestly why I chose physics as my major back in the day. I was unsure whether I wanted a computer science major or a physics major, but I'd been teaching myself computer programming for years before I entered college, and I knew I could keep doing that. I didn't think I could ever teach myself physics. So I picked physics, and I've never regretted that decision (even though my career is now in software). The material really is dense enough that it is really really hard to wrap your head around without years of instruction from experts.

Likes dsaun777 and PeroK
Get yourself the book _The First Three Minutes_ by Steven Weinberg.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0PYX2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And keep in mind that this is probably the most superficial possible treatment of the barest beginnings of the subject. And it was originally published in 1977, and a lot has happened in cosmology since then.

But get it and treat it as the sign posts at the start of the rows in your garden.

signs.jpg
You will see that just large swaths of math and physics contact cosmology. Nuclear physics, high energy physics, and theories of grand unification. Gravity generally and relativity in particular. Topology. Observational astronomy across the full spectrum from radio waves up. And several other things I've not remembered just now.

So that will mean you need calculus, calculus, and more calculus. Differential geometry and tensor algebra and the full machinery of things to do with manifolds. Differential equations aplenty. And some computer classes would not hurt, since some of those equations "shoot back" and require some computer assistance. Quantum mechanics up to quantum field theory.

Likes freeelectron and WWGD
Ultimately, a good one-stop book for Math training is a good book on' Advanced Calculus'. It will cover a large swath of the 3 calcs, Linear Algebra, some Analysis,Topology, which will take you close to the Math you need and/or give you a good foundation for it. There are a few online ones that are free. It will save or at least cut down on the need of jumping around between books.

Last edited:
Likes freeelectron
DEvens said:
calculus, calculus, and more calculus
Yes, an absolutely necessary start. Plus, you can't just study it, you need to really understand it.

Likes freeelectron, phinds and DEvens
Arman777 said:
For undergrad level cosmology you need to know calculus and some basic knowledge about differential equations. After learning the math part you can focus on the physics part of the cosmology. Most of the physics/Cosmology textbooks have modern physics / SR/ GR parts so I think the important thing is learning the math behind those things and understand the basic concepts about them.

First, you should start by reading Barbara Ryden- Introduction to Cosmology 2nd Edition. At the same time, you can watch the Leonard Susskind videos on youtube.
I bet this was Leonard Susskind videos :p

After finishing Barbara Ryden you should start reading Matts Roos btw if you find the 3rd edition don't try to read it. Notations are kind of complex and he fixes that in 4th edition.

And when you finish Matts Roos then you can move to more advanced books.

I am not sure what to suggest about calculus textbooks but there are many online/books resources so I am sure you can find someone best fits for you.
I've just started watching Leonard Susskin's videos, really great, interesting. I shall watch more when I have more time!

Likes Arman777
TaurusSteve said:
I've just started watching Leonard Susskin's videos, really great, interesting. I shall watch more when I have more time!
That's cool.

1. What is the importance of math in cosmology?

Math is essential in cosmology because it allows us to quantify and model the complex physical phenomena that occur in the universe. It helps us make predictions and understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of celestial bodies.

2. What are the specific areas of math that are important for cosmology?

The main areas of math used in cosmology are calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. These branches of math are used to describe the motion of celestial bodies, analyze data from telescopes and satellites, and create mathematical models of the universe.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to study cosmology?

While a strong math background is helpful, it is not necessary to study cosmology. Basic knowledge of algebra and geometry is usually sufficient to understand the concepts and equations used in cosmology. However, a deeper understanding of advanced math concepts can greatly enhance your understanding of the subject.

4. How can I improve my math skills for cosmology?

To improve your math skills for cosmology, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. You can also take courses in math and physics to gain a better understanding of the concepts and their applications in cosmology.

5. Are there any specific resources or textbooks for learning math for cosmology?

There are many resources and textbooks available for learning math for cosmology, such as "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, and "Astronomy: A Physical Perspective" by Marc L. Kutner. You can also find online lectures, tutorials, and practice problems to help you improve your math skills for cosmology.