Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What must be one's speed, relative to a frame S, in order...

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1
    ... in order that one's clocks will lose:

(a) 1 second per day as observed from S?
    (b) 1 minute per day as observed from S?

I was referencing this:( http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html#c2 ) hyperphysics page but I still can't seem to understand what I need to do to solve for velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

In the one minute-per-day case, time dilation says that while 24*60 minutes elapse on the stationary clock, (24*60)-1 minutes elapse on the moving clock. The time dilation formula and some algebra will see you home from there.

4. Feb 12, 2016 #3
    There are 86400 seconds in a day so on a clock that loses 1 second per day 86401 seconds will pass. Thus ##\gamma## equals ##\frac{86401}{86400}##. You can then use that value in the time dilation formula you linked to and solve for ##v##.

5. Feb 12, 2016 #4

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or, since both of your γ are close to 1, you can use the following approximate formula:

v2 ≈ 2 c2(γ - 1)

6. Feb 13, 2016 #5

Ibix

Science Advisor

That's a clock gaining 1s. A slow clock will tick 86399 times in a day as measured by a clock at rest in S, which gives ##\gamma =\frac {86400}{86399}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook