What must be present for the propagation of a mechanical wave?

Examples of non-mechanical waves include electromagnetic waves (such as light and radio waves) and gravitational waves. In summary, for the propagation of a mechanical wave, a medium is required.
princess08

Physics news on Phys.org
princess08 said:
Welcome to PF,

What do you think must be present?

I have no idea... Movement?

princess08 said:
I have no idea... Movement?
Hmm, not really what I had in mind. Can you give some examples of a mechanical wave?

P.S. You could have your answer in under five seconds from Google.

Movement?
Hootenanny said:
Welcome to PF,

What do you think must be present?

sound, earthquake, water waves... it is vibration?
Hootenanny said:
Hmm, not really what I had in mind. Can you give some examples of a mechanical wave?

P.S. You could have your answer in under five seconds from Google.

princess08 said:
sound, earthquake, water waves... it is vibration?
Correct! Can you now give me examples of non-mechanical waves?

I also read about a medium.
princess08 said:
sound, earthquake, water waves... is it vibration?

princess08 said:
I also read about a medium.
That's the answer :smile: Mechanical waves require a medium through which to be transmitted, whereas non-mechanical waves require no medium.

1. What is a mechanical wave?

A mechanical wave is a type of wave that requires a medium to propagate through, such as air, water, or a solid object. The wave causes the particles of the medium to vibrate and transfer energy as it travels.

2. What is required for the propagation of a mechanical wave?

In addition to a medium, a mechanical wave requires a source of energy, such as a vibrating object, and a disturbance in the medium to initiate the wave. The medium must also have the ability to be displaced and then return to its original position after the wave has passed through.

3. How does the medium affect the propagation of a mechanical wave?

The properties of the medium, such as density, elasticity, and temperature, can affect the speed and direction of a mechanical wave. For example, sound waves travel faster through denser materials, and waves can be refracted or reflected when passing through different mediums.

4. Can a mechanical wave propagate in a vacuum?

No, a vacuum does not have a medium for a mechanical wave to travel through, and therefore it cannot propagate in a vacuum. However, other types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, can propagate in a vacuum.

5. What factors can affect the amplitude and frequency of a mechanical wave?

The amplitude, or the height of a wave, can be affected by the energy of the source and the medium's properties. The frequency, or the number of waves passing through a point in a given time, can be affected by the source's frequency and the medium's properties, such as density and elasticity.