What net external force is requiered?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a Physics class where a 1500kg car needs to be accelerated from rest to 100km/h in 10 seconds. The equation used is F=ma and the attempt at a solution involves converting units and solving for the force, resulting in an answer of 255N. However, the book states a different answer of 4167N and the conversation ends with the person asking for help and thanking the expert for pointing out their mistake.
metalx1000
My wife is taking a Physics class and is having some trouble. I've never taken physics but I've tried to help, with no luck.

Homework Statement

What net external force is required to accelerate a 1500kg car from rest to 100km/h in 10 seconds?

Homework Equations

She believes that the right equation is:

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

100km/1hour x 1hour/60sec = 100/60 = 1.7km/s

a=(1.7 km/s)/10s
a=0.17s/km

F=1500kg x 0.17s
F=255
-------------------------------
So we got '255N'The book says the answer is '4167N'
But it does not say how to get this.

She is studying for a test tomorrow.
Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
metalx1000 said:
My wife is taking a Physics class and is having some trouble. I've never taken physics but I've tried to help, with no luck.

Homework Statement

What net external force is required to accelerate a 1500kg car from rest to 100km/h in 10 seconds?

Homework Equations

She believes that the right equation is:

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

100km/1hour x 1hour/60sec = 100/60 = 1.7km/s

a=(1.7 km/s)/10s
a=0.17s/km

F=1500kg x 0.17s
F=255
-------------------------------
So we got '255N'

The book says the answer is '4167N'
But it does not say how to get this.

She is studying for a test tomorrow.
Any help would be great.

Thank
You just changed the clock. There are 3600 seconds in an hour! Also, watch your units...your acceleration should be in meters/sec^2, not km/sec^2, to get the proper unit of the external force in Newtons.

Thank you

after posting we did convert it to metters but did not catch the min and seconds mixup.

Thanks again

1. What is net external force?

Net external force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on the object. It is the vector sum of all external forces.

2. How is net external force calculated?

Net external force is calculated by adding up all the external forces acting on an object. These forces can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration (F=ma) or by using the formula F=ΣF, which takes into account all the individual forces acting on the object.

3. Why is net external force important?

Net external force is important because it determines the motion of an object. If the net external force on an object is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the net external force is not zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net external force.

4. What factors affect the net external force required?

The net external force required depends on the mass of the object and the acceleration it is experiencing. The larger the mass of the object, the greater the net external force required to accelerate it. Similarly, the greater the acceleration of the object, the greater the net external force required.

5. How can net external force be changed?

Net external force can be changed by altering the magnitude or direction of individual external forces acting on an object. This can be done by applying additional forces, changing the angle or direction of existing forces, or by changing the mass of the object.