Net impulse and what objects exerts force

In summary, the car has a mass of 1500 kg and a speed of 30 m/s before crashing into a solid wall. The net impulse that acts on the car to bring it to a stop is 2925000. The object that exerts the force to bring the car to a stop is the wall. The driver experiences an impulse as well, but it is not mentioned in the conversation.
savaphysics

Homework Statement

You are riding in a car that crashes into a solid wall. The car comes to a complete stop without bouncing back. The car has a mass of 1500 kg and has a speed of 30 m/s before the crash. (this is about 65 mi/hr).

What is the net impulse that acts on the car to bring it to a stop? What is the net impulse that
acts on you to bring you to a stop?

What object exerts the force that causes the impulse that brings the car to a stop? What object
exerts the force that causes the impulse that brings you to a stop?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not to sure how to find the net impulse, Don't i need time?

Car to a stop= (1500kg) X (30/s)= 45000kg X 65=2925000

Object exerts force to bring the car to a stop is the wall.
Object that exerts force to bring me to a stop is the car.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not to sure how to find the net impulse, Don't i need time?
No. Check the definition of "impulse".

thanks that really helped...

Sometimes a nudge is all it takes ;)
Enjoy.

What happened to the impulse on the driver?

1. What is net impulse?

Net impulse is the total change in an object's momentum. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the object over a period of time.

2. How is net impulse calculated?

Net impulse is calculated by multiplying the average force applied to an object by the time period over which the force is applied. This is represented by the equation J = FΔt, where J is the net impulse, F is the force, and Δt is the time period.

3. What are some examples of objects that exert force?

Some examples of objects that exert force include human muscles, car engines, magnets, and gravity. Any object that can cause a change in the motion of another object is exerting force.

4. How does the direction of the force affect net impulse?

The direction of the force is an important factor in calculating net impulse. If the force and the resulting change in momentum are in the same direction, the net impulse will be positive. If the force and the change in momentum are in opposite directions, the net impulse will be negative.

5. What is the relationship between net impulse and the change in an object's momentum?

Net impulse and the change in an object's momentum are directly proportional. This means that as the net impulse increases, the change in momentum also increases. Similarly, if the net impulse decreases, the change in momentum will also decrease.