What next to study in Mathematics

In summary: and calculus of several variables can be very useful for understanding physics and engineering concepts.
Sahil Kukreja
Hi Everyone,
I have completed high school mathematics
which has:
1.) Algebra
2.) Trigonometry
3.) Co-ordinate geometry rectangular co-ordinates
4.) Basic Vectors and 3D geometry
5.)Calculus:-
Functions
Limits
Continuity
Differentiability
Functional Eqns
Tangents and Normals
Rolles Theorem and LMVT
Monotonicity/ Increasing and Decreasing
Relative and Global Maxima/Minima
Point Of Inflections
Curve Sketching
Techniques of Integration
Definite and Indefinite Integration
Differentiation of an Integral
Area Under the Curves
Basic Approximation of a definite integral
1st degree Ordinary Differential Equations

What next should i study in calculus?
and what books should i use?
Thanks in Advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sahil Kukreja said:
Hi Everyone,
I have completed high school mathematics
which has:
1.) Algebra
2.) Trigonometry
3.) Co-ordinate geometry rectangular co-ordinates
4.) Basic Vectors and 3D geometry
5.)Calculus:-
Functions
Limits
Continuity
Differentiability
Functional Eqns
Tangents and Normals
Rolles Theorem and LMVT
Monotonicity/ Increasing and Decreasing
Relative and Global Maxima/Minima
Point Of Inflections
Curve Sketching
Techniques of Integration
Definite and Indefinite Integration
Differentiation of an Integral
Area Under the Curves
Basic Approximation of a definite integral
1st degree Ordinary Differential Equations

and what books should i use?
Thanks in Advance :)
It looks like you have studies math up to and including the calculus of a single variable. The usual course is to proceed and continue the study of ordinary differential equations of higher degrees or the calculus of several variables / vector calculus. These latter two topics (ODEs and multivariable calculus) are important for understanding the material in most physics/engineering courses in college.

Likes Sahil Kukreja
You haven't said what your interests are. In addition to the items mentioned by @SteamKing , I would add matrices and linear algebra, and complex analysis.

Likes Sahil Kukreja
FactChecker said:
You haven't said what your interests are. In addition to the items mentioned by @SteamKing , I would add matrices and linear algebra, and complex analysis.

i have learned some determinants and matrices but i couldn't gain confidence

i like calculus a lot (till what i have studied) and i want to learn more calculus

what books should i use , i have 3 months left to go to college and i would like to utilise them.

That is plenty for now. In the long run, I would say that everything of interest has some aspects of: optimization, random behavior, feedback and control. Understanding optimization requires multi-dimensional gradients. Understanding random behavior requires probability and statistics. Understanding feedback and control requires complex analysis. You should be at least aware of those subjects.

Likes Sahil Kukreja
I don't see sequences and series in that list. So you might want to study those. Especially Taylor series are very important.

Likes Sahil Kukreja
micromass said:
I don't see sequences and series in that list. So you might want to study those. Especially Taylor series are very important.

in.our syllabus only series expansion of taylor series was there, we did not proof it

FactChecker said:
That is plenty for now. In the long run, I would say that everything of interest has some aspects of: optimization, random behavior, feedback and control. Understanding optimization requires multi-dimensional gradients. Understanding random behavior requires probability and statistics. Understanding feedback and control requires complex analysis. You should be at least aware of those subjects.

Also i have not been able to make a complete understanding in Permutations and Combinations but i can solve probability questions.

Hey Sahil Kukreja.

For linear algebra it helps to understand geometry first before you do that (especially the proofs and more abstract stuff).

Understanding geometry includes visualization as well as other techniques. You should probably look at three dimensional geometry first and solve problems with lines, points and planes before doing linear algebra because when you can connect the two together it will make a lot more sense.

For permutations and combinations I'd recommend learning probability the right way which is through the Kolmogorov Axioms (any teacher knowing probability will be able to explain this in more detail) and instead of relying on formulas and trying to figure out the formula to use you learn it slowly from first principles.

You'll be able to understand all the formulas this way and you will understand why things don't work and why they do.

I got confused myself with permutations and combinations and it was largely because I didn't understand the basics of probability.

Don't focus so much on the formulas but focus on the concepts and link your understanding of those formulas to those concepts.

I think if you do this then higher level mathematics will be a lot more intuitive and you will probably enjoy it a lot more.

Likes Sahil Kukreja
Ok, Thanks everyone for helping me! :)

Sahil Kukreja said:
Without knowing your goals, your question is unanswerable. If you're interested in science, you're doing fine and should just move along with whatever you've been doing. If you're interested in math, you should do something proof-based; there are many choices. If you're interested in computer science, you should change direction entirely and study discrete math.

And regardless, you should study some probability and statistics, which are relevant for everything.

IGU said:
Without knowing your goals, your question is unanswerable. If you're interested in science, you're doing fine and should just move along with whatever you've been doing. If you're interested in math, you should do something proof-based; there are many choices. If you're interested in computer science, you should change direction entirely and study discrete math.

And regardless, you should study some probability and statistics, which are relevant for everything.

i am interested in math as well as computer science.

Sahil Kukreja said:
i am interested in math as well as computer science.

At this point, if you are interested in computer science, you can't do better than to work through (slowly and carefully) Concrete Mathematics. If you think you are interested in math, then you would do well to work through Art of Problem Solving's Introduction to Counting and Probability. This is stuff that's usually skipped in high school, but that is essential to computer science.

The clear delineator in math is pure vs. applied -- if it's proofs you love then you want to study pure math, and if you can't fathom why anybody would care if it doesn't pertain to the real world then you want to study applied. I don't see that you listed Euclidean geometry in your experience, so you probably have little exposure to proofs. You should get some so you know a bit better what you like.

Likes Sahil Kukreja
IGU said:
At this point, if you are interested in computer science, you can't do better than to work through (slowly and carefully) Concrete Mathematics. If you think you are interested in math, then you would do well to work through Art of Problem Solving's Introduction to Counting and Probability. This is stuff that's usually skipped in high school, but that is essential to computer science.

The clear delineator in math is pure vs. applied -- if it's proofs you love then you want to study pure math, and if you can't fathom why anybody would care if it doesn't pertain to the real world then you want to study applied. I don't see that you listed Euclidean geometry in your experience, so you probably have little exposure to proofs. You should get some so you know a bit better what you like.

Yes, i have studied euclidean geometry, like triangles- congruent, similar ; Quadrilaterals and properties etc 3-4 years ago.
And when this year vectors was taught, then i realized that most of the properties and proofs and theorems in geometry could be proved using vectors.
I am not comfortable with the geometrical way, but comfortable with vector way.

If you want to learn programming try looking for an open source project and start learning how code is organized and tinker with things.

It's a good idea to understand good coding practice and I certainly recommend you find appropriate resources but if you find a code base that is well written then it can be great for your programming education.

If you have difficulty with that you might want to ask around for some feedback on whether it is well written.

It's like learning to write from a good author as opposed to a bad one.

Likes Sahil Kukreja

1. What is the importance of studying advanced calculus in mathematics?

Advanced calculus is a crucial branch of mathematics that deals with the study of limits, derivatives, and integrals. It provides a foundation for many other areas of mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and economics. Furthermore, it helps develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

2. Is linear algebra important to study in mathematics?

Yes, linear algebra is an essential branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. It has numerous applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics. Additionally, it provides a basis for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in mathematics?

A degree in mathematics can lead to a variety of careers, such as data analyst, actuary, statistician, mathematician, or teacher. It can also be a useful foundation for careers in fields such as finance, engineering, and computer science.

4. How can studying abstract algebra benefit a student?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It can help students develop their abstract reasoning and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many fields. Additionally, it has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and physics.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in geometry to pursue higher mathematics?

While a strong foundation in geometry can be beneficial, it is not necessary to pursue higher mathematics. Many branches of mathematics, such as number theory, abstract algebra, and topology, do not rely heavily on geometry. However, having a basic understanding of geometric concepts can aid in understanding and visualizing more abstract mathematical concepts.