Pursuing Electrical/Electronics Engineering: How to Go About It

In summary: The most important part is being good at it though, you'll find that if you're good you can still do well even in a bad market.In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision of whether to pursue an associates degree in science and transfer to a university for engineering or stick with the EE technology program at a community college. The individual expresses interest in becoming an electrical/electronics engineer and is confident in their abilities to relearn math and physics. There is also concern about job prospects and the current state of the economy. The overall suggestion is to switch to an EE degree and focus on becoming skilled in the field to ensure job security.
Kent317
I am deciding what educational path to take. My end goal is to become an electrical/electronics engineer. I am good with my hands but need to work very hard on academics.
I dropped out of high school my senior year(2012) for no good reason, I was not in the best state of mind then. (I earned my GED the same year). But after picking up electronics as a hobby I have become fascinated with it. At first i thought I would be an electrical engineer technician, but I'm wanting a secure career and want to branch out into different fields and an EE degree seems like the best option. The Theory part is also very interesting also.

I am enrolled at my community college for EE technology, but classes don't start until 1/11/16. I have time to switch majors, so would an associates in science be better to have, and then transfer to a university for engineering? Even if the credits don't transfer I still need to re learn everything, especially algebra but I'm confident I can do it. I like physics and studying electrical theory makes me wish I can fully understand the equations I'm looking at. Is it going to be worth my time and money? Should I just stick with the EET program? Any feedback would be helpful, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what you described, I think you should definitely switch major to something like EE. If there is no EE degree at your community college, then perhaps study something like physics first. It doesn't matter which degree exactly you do in CC though, as long as you get far in math courses and physics courses. But definitely go for Electrical Engineering.

Likes Student100
Kent317 said:
I am deciding what educational path to take. My end goal is to become an electrical/electronics engineer. I am good with my hands but need to work very hard on academics.
I dropped out of high school my senior year(2012) for no good reason, I was not in the best state of mind then. (I earned my GED the same year). But after picking up electronics as a hobby I have become fascinated with it. At first i thought I would be an electrical engineer technician, but I'm wanting a secure career and want to branch out into different fields and an EE degree seems like the best option. The Theory part is also very interesting also.

I am enrolled at my community college for EE technology, but classes don't start until 1/11/16. I have time to switch majors, so would an associates in science be better to have, and then transfer to a university for engineering? Even if the credits don't transfer I still need to re learn everything, especially algebra but I'm confident I can do it. I like physics and studying electrical theory makes me wish I can fully understand the equations I'm looking at. Is it going to be worth my time and money? Should I just stick with the EET program? Any feedback would be helpful, thanks.

Yes, like Micromass says, you can just get an associates of physics at CC then transfer. That way, you'll have the majority of the lower division work for EE done already, and probably just need intro to design classes at uni.

Electronics technicians, engineering technicians, or EET's, are all various names of the same job that assists engineers in design work, field work, and maintenance. Good technicians don't need to worry about not having a secure career. You could even earn more than many green EE's at companies, so don't let that dissuade you if that's something you really want to do - or find EE curriculum to abstract and not hands on enough for your tastes. A degree isn't needed technically, but is a good way to find entry level positions with no prior work experience.

The main thing that worries me is the current state, and future of our economy. I would like an EET degree, but I'm just afraid I'll be unemployed after I graduate. Reading many forums reassuring this doesn't help either.
Also the coursework for EE worries me, I have to pretty much start from the ground up in intermediate algebra and who knows I might not be able to handle it later on. Maybe I could find an employer to pay for my bsee, I just need to stop overthinking it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Kent317 said:
The main thing that worries me is the current state, and future of our economy. I would like an EET degree, but I'm just afraid I'll be unemployed after I graduate. Reading many forums reassuring this doesn't help either.
Also the coursework for EE worries me, I have to pretty much start from the ground up in intermediate algebra and who knows I might not be able to handle it later on. Maybe I could find an employer to pay for my bsee, I just need to stop overthinking it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Everyone starts somewhere. Don't let the "economy" scare you, if you become good at what you do, whatever that is, you'll never worry about having a job.

1. What is electrical/electronics engineering?

Electrical/electronics engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study, design, and application of electrical systems and electronic devices. It involves the use of electricity and electronics to design and develop various systems, such as power generation, communication systems, and computer hardware.

2. What skills are required to pursue a career in electrical/electronics engineering?

To pursue a career in electrical/electronics engineering, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Additionally, good problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and attention to detail are essential. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important, as electrical/electronics engineers often work in teams and need to communicate complex ideas effectively.

3. What are the job prospects for electrical/electronics engineers?

The job prospects for electrical/electronics engineers are excellent. This field offers a wide range of career opportunities, including positions in industries such as telecommunications, computer hardware, power generation, and consumer electronics. With the increasing demand for technology and automation, the demand for electrical/electronics engineers is expected to continue to grow.

4. What education is required to become an electrical/electronics engineer?

To become an electrical/electronics engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, electronics engineering, or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree for certain positions. It is essential to choose a reputable and accredited university or college for your education to ensure you have the necessary skills and knowledge for a successful career in this field.

5. How can one gain practical experience in electrical/electronics engineering?

Gaining practical experience is crucial for a career in electrical/electronics engineering. One can gain practical experience through internships, co-op programs, or by working on personal projects. Many universities also offer hands-on laboratory courses as part of their curriculum. Additionally, seeking out mentorship opportunities or participating in engineering clubs and organizations can also provide valuable practical experience.