What percentage of carbon produces the strongest plain carbon steel

In summary, the question asks for the percentage of carbon that produces the strongest plain carbon steel. However, the term "strongest" is ambiguous and can refer to various mechanical properties such as hardness, load-bearing capacity, or resistance to fatigue. Therefore, the answer would depend on the specific mechanical property the question is referring to. However, based on the context of the previous question about the eutectoid point on the iron-carbon phase diagram, it can be assumed that the question is asking about the percentage of carbon that results in the strongest pearlite (ferrite-cementite) structure, which is commonly used for mechanical work.
Tiberious

Homework Statement

[/B]
(a) What percentage of carbon produces the strongest plain carbon steel?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been posed with the above question and it has lead to some confusion. What is meant by 'strongest'. The question seems to leave open to interpretation what the reader considers to be 'strong' traits of a material. I assume it refers to hardest ? or does it mean the most useable plain carbon steel for mechanical work, so, something with a grain structure near the Eutectoid point on the iron-carbon phase diagram.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This question is about as nebulous as the worst I have ever seen. The OP put his finger on it: "What is meant by strongest?"

That would be
supporting the maximum static load?
supporting the largest impact load?
at what temperature?
strongest in high-cycle fatigue?
strongest in low-cycle fatigue?
strongest in bending?
strongest in torsion?
etc, etc.

It really does not mean anything at all.

Likes jim hardy
I've had a discussion with the tutor and this question is supposed to be posed around the question previous. (eutectoid point) on the iron-carbon phase diagram. From what I understand the pearlite (ferrite-cementite) picture would be more useful for mechanical work. I assume this is what the question requires. Any idea towards what I should include in the scope of the answer?

1. What is the ideal percentage of carbon for producing the strongest plain carbon steel?

The ideal percentage of carbon for producing the strongest plain carbon steel is approximately 0.6-0.8%. This percentage allows for a good balance of hardness and ductility in the steel.

2. Can a higher percentage of carbon make plain carbon steel even stronger?

Yes, increasing the percentage of carbon in plain carbon steel can make it stronger, but it also makes it more brittle. This can lead to cracking and failure under stress.

3. Does the percentage of carbon affect the hardness of plain carbon steel?

Yes, the percentage of carbon directly affects the hardness of plain carbon steel. A higher percentage of carbon leads to a harder steel, while a lower percentage results in a softer steel.

4. What happens if the percentage of carbon in plain carbon steel is too low?

If the percentage of carbon in plain carbon steel is too low, the steel will be softer and more ductile, but it will also be weaker and less able to hold a sharp edge.

5. Is the percentage of carbon the only factor that determines the strength of plain carbon steel?

No, the percentage of carbon is just one of the factors that affect the strength of plain carbon steel. Other factors include the presence of other alloying elements, the manufacturing process, and heat treatment methods.