What physically constitutes memory?

• Thread starter Biosyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, memory is a process of storing and recalling information. The brain relies on a variety of mechanisms to store memories, but it is still unclear how they work together. Memory may be affected by strange attractors, which are patterns of neuron firing that create a memory.
Biosyn
What physically constitutes memory? I don't understand how millions of tiny connections between neurons allows us to memorize things or picture something in our mind.

Any related videos would be appreciated :)

Biology news on Phys.org
This is not a simple question to answer. Firstly, there's lots of different kinds of memory. But also, we're not sure of all the mechanisms involved.

One example:

A system of neurons receives an input through the olfactory system that smells food; elsewhere, the system receives inputs about the sound vibrations in the atmosphere. There exists a neuron that both inputs connect to (let's call it the post-synaptic neuron) but the synapse between the the audio inputs and this neuron is a "silent synapse" because it's synaptic channels have blockage (Magnesium ions) in them. If the postsynaptic neuron fires (because it received an input from the olfactory system) it will expel the magnesium, allowing the audio input to fire the neuron for a short time after that.

Now, as the two stimuli continue to pair up on that one post-synaptic neuron, via Hebbian learning, the neuron starts importing a new kind of channel to this synapse that doesn't have Mg blocking it and the synapse stops being silent. And now the audio signal will directly fire the post-synaptic neuron all by itself.

This might be an example of Pavlov's dog: conditioning the audio signal to fire the same neuron that the olfactory signal does.

This is just one example of a mechanism for memory though, there are lots of other mechanisms (many still unknown) and some are embedded in genetic expression regimes, not just electrophysiology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a more recent proposal: that prions play a role in long-term memories:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120127162409.htm

The peer-reviewed journal is referenced at the bottom. Not sure how robust the claim is, but it gives an idea of how many different little mechanisms come together in all the different cases of what we call "memory".

Biosyn said:
I don't understand how millions of tiny connections between neurons allows us to memorize things or picture something in our mind.
:)

Know what a purkinje (pa-kin-gee) neuron looks like? How about a large elm tree without the leaves? About the same. Really, it's trillions of connections and many of them are fed-back: the output of some neurons go back to be used as input to neurons along the connection sequence. So we have billions of non-linear (ala Hodgkin-Huxley) neurons connected in likewise non-linear configurations.

You know what strange attractors are and in particular their associated basins of attraction? A non-linear dynamic system, often contains islands of stability called "attractors" which are surrounded by a region such that if the system finds itself in this region, the dynamics will "fall" into the attractor and just stay there until it's "bumped" out of it's basin and perhaps falls into another basin surrounding some other attractor.

Ever tried to remember something but you can't initially recall it? You think of things related, and sometimes the memory "comes" to you. What's going on in the brain during that event? Well some believe memory is effected by strange attractors created by the dynamics of neuron firing patterns: the act of trying to remember sets up firing patterns in the brain, and if their dynamics "falls" into some basin of attraction, it leads to the attractor representing the memory. For example, see this reference:

http://leadserv.u-bourgogne.fr/people/french/mind_as_motion.pdf

". All of cognition, according to the Dynamical Hypothesis, takes place via
transitions between these attractors."
You may be interested in searching the internet for "strange attractors in the brain".

Last edited by a moderator:
Biosyn said:
What physically constitutes memory? I don't understand how millions of tiny connections between neurons allows us to memorize things or picture something in our mind.

A clock's internal mechanism systematically marks seconds into minutes and hours. But the mechanism does not create or represent time. There is a similar problem with memory and the brain.

For memory to exist in the brain, there must be a way to represent information. The general theory is that patterns of synaptic connections create memory. However, all parts of the brain's bio-machinery (neurons, synapses, dendrites, etc.) are continually changing. Though neuroscientists have been studying memory for many decades, there is no integrated theory. Some of them may doubt memory exists in the brain.

Heisenberg said, "...what we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning". Godel's incompleteness theorem showed that nothing is certain concerning the universe. The rational mind may never know the ultimate truth.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Thank you guys for the in depth information! It was extremely helpful.

I'll be doing a ton of reading/researching this weekend.

Biosyn said:

I think this might be helpful and it's what teachers use for kids:

What Is Memory?

When an event happens, when you learn something, or when you meet someone, your brain determines whether that information needs to be saved. If your brain judges the information important, it places it in your memory "files."

You probably know your brain has different parts. Some of them are important for memory. The hippocampus (say: hih-puh-kam-pus) is one of the more important parts of the brain that processes memories.

Old information and new information, or memories, are thought to be processed and stored away in different areas of the cerebral cortex, or the "gray matter" of the brain — the largest, outermost part of the brain.
Please read on . . .
http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/brain/memory.html

Simple and sweet.

Biosyn said:

A general question can have a general answer.

I know little to nothing 'bout memory, i keep forgetting it...but allot of it's about patterns. Billions of "specifics" adds up to a very specific "thing". in this case a memory...well the memory may only be a few "specifics" in which case...it's nearly forgotten, like my memory about memory.

:smile:

"storage" must be the physical make-up/structure (brain itself, well it's "wiring"), of course a memory is not "reproduced" (I appreciate the subconsciousfills in gaps) . No wonder memory comes across as very "malleable", and can believe in non-sense so easily.

Last edited:
nitsuj said:
A general question can have a general answer.

I know little to nothing 'bout memory, i keep forgetting it...but allot of it's about patterns. Billions of "specifics" adds up to a very specific "thing". in this case a memory...well the memory may only be a few "specifics" in which case...it's nearly forgotten, like my memory about memory.

:smile:

"storage" must be the physical make-up/structure (brain itself, well it's "wiring"), of course a memory is not "reproduced" (I appreciate the subconsciousfills in gaps) . No wonder memory comes across as very "malleable", and can believe in non-sense so easily.

I don't believe in non-sense but accept that some people have a great imagination!:biggrin:

oh snap!

nitsuj said:
I know little to nothing 'bout memory, i keep forgetting it...
:rofl:

What physically constitutes memory?

Memory is a complex and dynamic process that involves the coordination of various brain regions and neural networks. However, there are a few key components that are believed to play a role in the formation and storage of memories.

1. What is the role of neurons in memory?

Neurons are the cells that make up our brain and nervous system. They are responsible for transmitting and processing information through electrical and chemical signals. In terms of memory, neurons play a crucial role in forming and storing new memories by creating connections with other neurons and strengthening existing connections.

2. How does the brain physically store memories?

The exact mechanism of how memories are physically stored in the brain is still not fully understood. However, current research suggests that memories are stored through changes in the strength of connections between neurons, known as synaptic plasticity. This allows for the strengthening or weakening of connections based on the importance and relevance of the information being stored.

3. Can memories be physically located in the brain?

While it is not possible to point to a specific location in the brain and say "this is where a memory is stored," studies have shown that different types of memories are processed and stored in different brain regions. For example, memories related to language are processed in the left hemisphere of the brain, while visual memories are processed in the visual cortex.

4. How does the brain retrieve memories?

Retrieving a memory involves reactivating the neural pathways and connections that were formed when the memory was initially encoded. This can happen through a process called pattern completion, where certain cues or triggers can activate the entire memory. The more frequently a memory is retrieved, the stronger and more easily accessible it becomes.

5. Can memories be physically lost or erased?

While memories can fade over time, it is unlikely that they can be completely lost or erased. This is because memories are not stored in just one specific location in the brain, but rather are distributed across various neural networks. In cases of amnesia or brain damage, memories may become inaccessible due to disruptions in the neural pathways, but they are not necessarily completely erased.