What potential can model interactions at boundary walls?

• Thread starter Gerenuk
  • Start date
In summary: But nowadays you would adjust the potential to account for the energy of the system, the temperature, and the spatial configuration of the atoms.
Gerenuk
I thought a container wall is impenetrable due to Coulomb repulsions, but I realized that an idealized positively charged cylindrical container is not able to contain positive charges at all.

So what else is the interaction at the container walls that prohibits particles to espace?

Is it some effect of both polarities of the charges? Or a dynamical dipole effect? Or even quantum mechanical exchange repulsion?

Which potential should I take to model the rebounce of neutral or charged particles at boundary walls?

Physics news on Phys.org
"but I realized that an idealized positively charged cylindrical container is not able to contain positive charges at all."

Can you elaborate on this?

Molecules and atoms are generally more or less electrically neutral. So coulombic forces are not a significant factor with inter-molecular forces (ions notwithstanding). Though I would expect that in very close proximities that the shielding effect would make an atom appear slightly negatively charged (and thus you may get coulombic repulsion that way). But I think that the primary forces at play are called the Van der Waals-London forces. There are three forces here, the orientation force, induction force, and London force (also better described as the Casimir-Polder force). The orientation force is the force that occurs between molecules with permanent dipole moments. This occurs because when we have two electric dipoles then the energy of the system is dependent upon the orientation of these dipoles with respect to each other. When you consider the distribution of energies in a system due to Boltzmann statistics then you find certain orientations are favored over others and there is a net force.

The induction force is between a molecule of permanent dipole moment and another that is polarizable. That is, the permanent dipole induces a weak dipole in the other molecule. Again this system gives rise to a net force.

The London force is between two polarizable molecules. However, this only works in quantum mechanics where we assume that the molecules have an oscillating polarization due to the fact that an oscillator has a non-zero ground state energy. London did not explain how this arises in his paper but Casimir and Polder theorized that this arised from the fluctuating fields of the vacuum ground state. Anyway, these fluctuating fields give rise to momentary dipoles in the polarizable molecules and you get your third force that way.

These forces have both an attraction and repulsion profile. So while it can be used to explain why things are sticky (and how the gecko defies gravity), it also explains how the molecules can repulse. Still, I would imagine that it would depend upon the exact situation to see whether coulombic or Van der Waals-London are dominant.

@Born2wire: Thank you for the detailed listing of forces. I need to look them up somewhere. Do they have a well-defined potential? Do I need such thing a exchange interaction?

@Vodka: I thought I could contain atoms by saying they have some charge distribution within the atom and so do the container walls. Unfortunately this doesn't work, as a container with cylindrical symmetry has absolutely no field anywhere inside. No matter how the radial charge distribution is.

A quick google search yielded this page that has a nice picture of a typical Van der Waals potential.

http://web.njit.edu/all_topics/Prog_Lang_Docs/html/autodock/AD3.a.0UserGuide.html

You can see how it transitions from a repulsion to an attraction and that there is a minimum to the potential that would correspond to the most likely distance you would observe the two particles. It would be best if you could find a molecular dynamics text. A simple way of modeling molecular interactions, whether it be gas, solid, liquid or Scotch-Irish, is to use an appropriate intermolecular potential to guide a simulation. Depending on the temperature you set, the appropriate Boltzmann statistics should make the molecules behave in the appropriate state.

The original London force was something like 1/r^6 but there are now more complex potentials and usually what is done is these potentials have parameters that are adjusted to fit empirical measurements. So if you are interested in a particular interaction, you will need to find the appropriate potential and set of parameters.

For example, F. London's early papers from 1937 and 1941 talk a little bit about this. London's original equation had two parameters, the polarizability of the atoms and the "frequency" of the fluctuations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What potential can model interactions at boundary walls?

1. Why are walls impenetrable?

Walls are typically impenetrable because they are designed to withstand certain amounts of force and pressure, making it difficult for external objects to break through. They are often made with materials such as concrete, brick, or stone, which are strong and dense enough to resist damage.

2. Can anything penetrate a wall?

While walls are designed to be impenetrable, there are some things that can potentially break through them. For example, some walls can be penetrated by extreme forces such as earthquakes, explosions, or heavy machinery. Additionally, certain types of weapons or tools may be able to break through walls if they are specifically designed for that purpose.

3. Are all walls impenetrable?

No, not all walls are impenetrable. The level of impenetrability depends on the materials used, the design and construction techniques, and the purpose of the wall. For example, some walls are built to be easily broken down, while others are designed to be impenetrable for security and protection.

4. Can walls be made even more impenetrable?

Yes, there are ways to make walls even more impenetrable. This can include using stronger and more durable materials, adding multiple layers of protection, or incorporating advanced technologies such as reinforced steel bars or bulletproof glass. However, these measures may also increase the cost and weight of the wall.

5. Why are impenetrable walls important?

Impenetrable walls are important for a variety of reasons. They can provide safety and security for individuals and properties by keeping out unwanted intruders or protecting against natural disasters. They can also serve as barriers to control access or contain hazardous materials. In some cases, impenetrable walls can also have symbolic or cultural significance, such as in ancient fortresses or modern border walls.