What Powers Light? Exploring Photon Energy Across the Galaxy

• B
  • Thread starter Policetac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: I'd encourage you to concentrate on the classical notion of waves and avoid letting quantum mechanics muddy your waters. If you want to get a grasp of what happens at the quantum level, I recommend reading about it rather than trying to explain it to you here.
Policetac
TL;DR Summary
How can a photon of light literally travel across the galaxy?
How can a photon of light literally travel across the galaxy? Where does it get the energy to do so and what then keeps it going? Why isn't yhe frequency and energy depleted? Does the coldness of space have anything to do with it?

Science news on Phys.org
The source powers it.
Why does it keep going? What's stopping it?

Likes DennisN, vanhees71 and russ_watters
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Policetac said:
TL;DR Summary: How can a photon of light literally travel across the galaxy?

How can a photon of light literally travel across the galaxy? Where does it get the energy to do so and what then keeps it going?
Much farther than across the Galaxy in fact; it can travel across the Observable Universe, no? :wink:

And paraphrasing V50, "Fire a bullet into the vacuum of space, and what stops it?" :smile:

A more on-point question might be, "How can the radiated EM from so distant a source (billions of light years away) still have enough energy to be detected by us?" Part of the answer is that the initial radiated energy was so intense (like from suns) that it contained zillions of photons, so per the inverse square law of intensity attenuation, after light years of expansion, the EM coming from those intense sources still has enough intensity/photons to be detected here.

Last edited:
Likes davenn, vanhees71 and topsquark
Policetac said:
Why isn't the frequency and energy depleted?
Electromagnetic radiation, which is what light is, loses energy by interacting with matter (the "lost" energy is absorbed by the matter, heating it up). Intergalactic space is a very close to total vacuum, so no matter to interact with and no loss of energy.

Likes DaveE and topsquark
Policetac said:

How can a photon of light literally travel across the galaxy? Where does it get the energy to do so and what then keeps it going? Why isn't yhe frequency and energy depleted? Does the coldness of space have anything to do with it?
Neutrinos can also travel across the galaxy, other particles as well.

Likes DennisN
Policetac said:

You have gotten good answers posted above. I would like to add one additional comment directed specifically at the following part of your question: "... what then keeps it going?"

For the moment, think about light as an electromagnetic plane wave as illustrated below (public domain image courtesy of NASA and Space Telescope Science Institute). The light wave propagates in the x-direction as shown. The electric field (yellow) oscillates in the y-direction and the magnetic field (blue) oscillates in the z-direction. The electric and magnetic fields are always perpendicular to one another, and perpendicular to the direction of propagation. Notice how the fields oscillate together. The important point is that changes in the electric field drive changes in the magnetic field, and vice versa. The significance of those changes is that the light drives itself--it self-propagates, it keeps itself going.

EMWave.png

Likes sophiecentaur
Hyperfine said:
You have gotten good answers posted above. I would like to add one additional comment directed specifically at the following part of your question: "... what then keeps it going?"

For the moment, think about light as an electromagnetic plane wave as illustrated below (public domain image courtesy of NASA and Space Telescope Science Institute). The light wave propagates in the x-direction as shown. The electric field (yellow) oscillates in the y-direction and the magnetic field (blue) oscillates in the z-direction. The electric and magnetic fields are always perpendicular to one another, and perpendicular to the direction of propagation. Notice how the fields oscillate together. The important point is that changes in the electric field drive changes in the magnetic field, and vice versa. The significance of those changes is that the light drives itself--it self-propagates, it keeps itself going.

View attachment 323029
10/10 for not introducing photons into this. 👋👋👋👋👋👋

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and Hyperfine
Thank you to everyone. Now I need to process it all.

Likes Hyperfine
Policetac said:
Although technically not strictly relevant to the photon, you might like to read about Newton's first law of motion.

Likes russ_watters and DennisN
PeroK said:
Although technically not strictly relevant to the photon, you might like to read about Newton's first law of motion.
Newton's opinion of mass and how it's affected by forces did not stretch to particles of zero mass. So I don't think it's particularly relevant here.

Policetac said:
I'd encourage you to concentrate on the classical notion of waves and avoid letting quantum mechanics muddy your waters. If you want to get a grasp of what happens at great distances then start with shorter distances - just a few thousand light years and sensible Energy densities - and assume you're dealing with a continuous quantity.
This will not be selling you short in any way but it will give you the best chance of overall progress. Promise yourself you won't get involved with photons until you have the basics sewn up.

Likes vanhees71
sophiecentaur said:
Newton's opinion of mass and how it's affected by forces did not stretch to particles of zero mass. So I don't think it's particularly relevant here.
Perhaps not, but it can't hurt to know Newton's first law.

Likes russ_watters, DennisN, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
It's unavoidable to learn classical physics, i.e., Newtonian mechanics, special theory of relativity and classical electrodynamics first, before thinking about photons. Photons are in no way particles, and even massive particles are rather described by quantum fields in relativistic QFT than as point particles.

To answer the question in the subject of this thread, "what powers light?", can be answered easily within classical (relativstic) physics, i.e., Maxwell's electrodynamics. First one should note that "light" are electromagnetic waves, i.e., time-dependent electromagnetic fields transporting energy, momentum, and angular momentum through free space. The source of electromagnetic fields are electric charges and currents.

A charge at rest has an electrostatic field around it, and this transports no energy, momentum, and angular momentum. Since a charge moving with constant velocity is equivalent to a charge at rest seen from another inertial frame of reference, also a charge moving with constant velocity does not emit electromagnetic waves, but in addition to the electric field you also have a magnetic field.

If the charge is accelerating, it emits electromagnetic waves, which transports energy and momentum. Since energy and momentum are conserved, these are taken from the moving charge, and to keep it in (e.g., oscillatory) motion you have to keep it going by putting in more energy to compensate for the loss by radiation, and that's what "powers electromagnetic waves".

Likes morrobay
PeroK said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and held back an earlier joke for fear of a pedantic response:
Vanadium 50 said:
Why does it keep going? What's stopping it?
Definitely not Newton's first Law!

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of particles called photons that travel in waves at the speed of light.

2. How is light created?

Light is created when an object or substance emits energy in the form of photons. This can happen through a variety of processes such as thermal radiation, chemical reactions, or electrical discharges.

3. What powers light?

The energy that powers light comes from various sources such as the sun, stars, and man-made sources like light bulbs. The energy is then converted into photons, which make up the light that we see.

4. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space in a straight line at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is known as the speed of light and is the fastest speed at which anything can travel in the universe.

5. Can light be affected by gravity?

Yes, light can be affected by gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can bend the path of light, causing it to appear to be curved. This can be observed in phenomena such as gravitational lensing.