1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What properties allow me to see past Earth's curvature?

1. Sep 10, 2017 #1
    I recently was able to view a 193 foot building from 24 miles away. The base of the building is approximately 15 feet above sea level and my eye level was approximately 9 feet above sea level. I was viewing the building across a Lake. I could see a substantial amount of the building, which seemed like 75% or even 100%, but of course the distance was so great that I couldn't get details. Based on my curvature of the earth calculations, I should not have been able to see any of the building as ~270 feet should have been obscured by the curvature of Earth. What am I missing? Is there some kind of refraction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2017 #2
  4. Sep 11, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always have problems with Imperial Measurements (our Empire was dispensed with many years ago and so should the units have been!) Could it be that you are giving the formula you are using the wrong units for one of the dimensions? (No offence - just checking is always worth while. :smile:)
    There is a good link about Looming here.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. Sep 11, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted