1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What rule have they used to change the integral?

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    se05b01025.png

What rule have they used to change the integral from 2x/(x+1)^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

It's called "adding zero." :tongue: I see it more as a trick to eventually introduce a factor that can be canceled. For instance, if the integral was this:
    [itex]\int \frac{3x}{(x-2)^2} dx[/itex]
    I would subtract and add 6:
    [itex]= \int \frac{3x - 6 + 6}{(x-2)^2} dx[/itex]
    [itex]= \int \frac{3x - 6}{(x-2)^2} dx + \int \frac{6}{(x-2)^2} dx[/itex]
    [itex]= \int \frac{3(x-2)}{(x-2)^2} dx + \int \frac{6}{(x-2)^2} dx[/itex]
    ... etc.

4. Feb 12, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assume you mean 2x/(x-1)^2.
    Are you asking how it's valid (isn't it obviously valid?) or how they thought to do that?

5. Feb 12, 2014 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In particular, they added 0 (which doesn't change anything) to the numerator, but with "zero" written as "2-2". There are lots of very creative ways to add zero.

A related technique (not used here) is to multiply by one, where once again you can be very creative in the way in which you write "one".

6. Feb 12, 2014 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To add to what D H and eumyang have said, there's a big difference between expressions (such as 2x/(x - 1)2 and equations. If you're working with an equation, there are lots of things you can do to get a new equation with the same solution set as the one you started with. For example, you can multiply both sides by a nonzero number, you can add the same amount to both sides, you can take the log of both sides, etc.

With an expression you are much more limited. One thing you can do is add 0 (in some form) or multiply by 1 (also in some form). You can also factor the expression if that seems useful to do, or expand it, if the situation calls for that operation.

7. Feb 12, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To add my 2 cents worth, this type of trick is usually done by someone that has done enough u substitutions to see the "need" for it. But you can just as well do the problem using the u-substitution$$
    u = x-1,~x = u+1,~du=dx$$ in the first place giving$$
    \int \frac {2(u+1)}{u^2}~du = \int\frac 2 u + \frac 2 {u^2}~du$$leading to the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted