What science gives back to us.

• Thread starter Rolen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, science gives us a way to understand the world and our place in it. It allows us to make sense of our surroundings and provides us with a sense of peace.
Rolen
Gold Member
I'm not really sure in what forum this goes, but I decided to put this here.

We all are people of science, of course. And that made me think about other people and other professions. I see people helping others, making things for others and stuff.
Sure that science is one of the most important foundation of our world and without it we would not be here. But, what science gives back to you directly?
A title? A position? A name? A reputation?
Science seems sometimes a sort of a vice. Once you tasted it you can't stop, even if is not going to make you 'great' or rich. So, what science gives back to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Science gives us a honest and objective view of the world. Untainted by religion, prejudice, morals, race, etc.

It gives us a way to experience the world/universe in a way we never could.

It delivers us from fear and superstition.

It's pleasing to accomplish things, and to find things out in a manner that is communicable to others. It is also nice to work on and experience fundamentally new things.

There is this guy who observes me in Starbucks, he first noticed me when I was studying with another student who was not understanding the material. He is a regular there and talks to me every time we are there at the same time. I do not even know his name or what his occupation is, but he seems deeply involved in something like anthropology. In any event, he was talking to me on one of my more discouraged days and he said something that really put words to what I feel science does for me. He said "you are in your element." If I were to express it in my own words, science makes me feel like I belong or have a place in this great existence of matter, space, and time. It provides me with feelings of calmness, balance, and being centered. It's like intellectual yoga.

In its simplest form, science is an embodiment of knowledge, welcome for anyone to learn its secrets, and also welcome for any further contributions. It's a way to look at the progress that humanity has made once we decided to learn with rigor and purpose.

Beyond this impromptu definition, science becomes whatever the individual wants. Some apply the rigorous and evidence-based system to other modes of thinking, and enjoy the rationality that pure knowledge can provide. I personally love the beauty that you can often find within, sometimes where you least expect it, but other times you just know that something is beautiful, and always will be.

Rolen said:
I'm not really sure in what forum this goes, but I decided to put this here.

We all are people of science, of course. And that made me think about other people and other professions. I see people helping others, making things for others and stuff.
Sure that science is one of the most important foundation of our world and without it we would not be here. But, what science gives back to you directly?
A title? A position? A name? A reputation?
Science seems sometimes a sort of a vice. Once you tasted it you can't stop, even if is not going to make you 'great' or rich. So, what science gives back to you?

Facts. Science certainly isn't perfect in the truth game, but compared with other sources of "truth" in the USA...

Before this thread becomes forgotten, I feel the urge to post this xkcd comic. I feel it's subtly relevant to this thread.

"The wonderful thing about science is that it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes."​

Beliefs
beliefs.jpg

[Source: http://xkcd.com/154/]

Somehow it makes me think of

Borek said:
Somehow it makes me think of

"Stop it! You're all individuals."

*In unison* "Yes, we're all individuals!"

*One, lone guy* "Well I'm not."

Great movie.

Carl Sagan said:
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

Carl Sagan said:
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.

Science makes finding my way in this world a lot less frustrating by helping me sort through all of the bull**** I see on a daily basis.

1. What are some practical applications of scientific research?

Scientific research has many practical applications that benefit society. For example, medical research has led to the development of life-saving treatments and cures for diseases, while agricultural research has improved crop yields and food production. Other areas of research, such as technology and engineering, have led to advancements in transportation, communication, and energy production.

2. How does scientific knowledge impact our everyday lives?

Scientific knowledge impacts our everyday lives in numerous ways. From the food we eat to the technology we use, science plays a crucial role in our daily routines. For instance, understanding the science of nutrition helps us make healthier food choices, while the science of electricity allows us to power our homes and devices.

3. What are some examples of how science has improved the environment?

Science has played a key role in improving the environment by identifying and addressing issues such as air and water pollution, deforestation, and climate change. Through scientific research, we have been able to develop sustainable practices and technologies that reduce our impact on the planet and promote conservation efforts.

4. How does scientific research contribute to economic growth?

Scientific research is a driving force in economic growth, as it leads to the development of new products, services, and industries. For example, advancements in biotechnology have led to the creation of new medicines and treatments, while developments in computer science have revolutionized the way we work and communicate.

5. What can we learn from the history of scientific discoveries?

The history of scientific discoveries teaches us about the incredible potential of human curiosity and ingenuity. It also shows us the importance of collaboration and building upon the work of others. Additionally, examining past scientific breakthroughs can help us understand and solve current problems, as well as inspire future generations to pursue careers in science.