What Should I Do? Asian-American's Journey to Start Own Company

• Thread starter royzizzle
  • Start date
In summary, the person speaking is an Asian American enrolled in a top biomedical instrumentation undergrad program. They are passionate about developing devices to help those with ADHD and learning disorders. They want to start their own company and make a positive impact. They have an average GPA and research experience but cannot get a recommendation letter due to a conflict with a professor. They plan to work with a different professor in the future and are considering a graduate program in engineering management. They are currently working on a neurofeedback device but have concerns about marketing. They feel different and like a failure but believe their only chance is to start their own organization. They are advised to seek help for their possible learning disorder and to have a more positive attitude for success.
royzizzle
I am an asian american enrolled in a biomedical instrumentation undergrad program (top 5 in the country).

What I am passionate about is developing devices that help people diagnosed with ADHD/learning disorders live a easier life. Specifically I'm interested in Neurofeedback devices as of now.

I want to start my own company and sell my own products in the future. I don't want to just work for some company to pick up a paycheck. I'm looking to make a positive impact on those with learning disorders/think differently.

I'm so passionate because I know I have some kind of learning disorder and it's played a large role in making my life such a hellhole.

right now I have an average GPA (3.16), I have research experience but I can't get a recommendation letter because I pissed off the professor. I'm going to work for a different professor next semester.

For graduate school I want to do a engineering management program offered at our university. The problem is that it requires 3 recommendation letters. Thats the biggest problem right now because I'm terrible at not making my bosses angry.

I'm also currently working on a EEG neurofeedback device. I've got the design down and everything but I've no idea about marketing and all that other stuff. I know if I start advertising and selling my device I will fail.

What do I do?

I feel so different from other people and I feel like a failure

:mad:

I have such a hard time following instructions in school and research. I'll probably be a failure in the corporate world too. I feel my only chance in life is to start my own organization.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you believe you have a learning disorder that's affecting your ability to perform well in school, seek assistance to overcome it. It won't go away and if you don't do anything about it, you'll likely be using it as an excuse for the things you don't accomplish for the rest of your life.

I'm curious about the comment "I'm terrrible at not making my bosses angry." What do you mean by this? The things that I can think of that will actually make bosses "angry" are generally grounds for disciplinary action - things like abuse of IT privileges, working unsafely, harassment or bullying, etc. On the other hand, if you mean that you're not performing to a standard set by either yourself or your boss, it's likely time to sit down and discuss this to identify your strengths and weaknesses.

Next, with respect to this device idea that you have there are a few things that you should do. You might want to start reading about how other people have done this. If you're interested in becoming an entrepreneur, read biographies of other entrepreneurs and company histories. Next you might want to look into programs at your school that bridge the gap between research and commercial development. Also see if you can find a mentor who you can job shadow or ask questions of. With any medical device, you are likely going to need FDA approval to market it (otherwise no one will really be interested), so you may want to research what's involved with that. A good place to start with things like this are converences and trade shows - simply by talking with people who are in the market place can give you all sorts of current and valuable information.

Finally - check your attitude. In a single post you've stated:
... I will fail.
I feel like a failure
I'll probably be a failure...
With an attitude like this, you're defining your destiny before you even give yourself a chance.

royzizzle said:
I am an asian american enrolled in a biomedical instrumentation undergrad program (top 5 in the country).

What I am passionate about is developing devices that help people diagnosed with ADHD/learning disorders live a easier life. Specifically I'm interested in Neurofeedback devices as of now.

I want to start my own company and sell my own products in the future. I don't want to just work for some company to pick up a paycheck. I'm looking to make a positive impact on those with learning disorders/think differently.

I'm so passionate because I know I have some kind of learning disorder and it's played a large role in making my life such a hellhole.

right now I have an average GPA (3.16), I have research experience but I can't get a recommendation letter because I pissed off the professor. I'm going to work for a different professor next semester.

For graduate school I want to do a engineering management program offered at our university. The problem is that it requires 3 recommendation letters. Thats the biggest problem right now because I'm terrible at not making my bosses angry.

I'm also currently working on a EEG neurofeedback device. I've got the design down and everything but I've no idea about marketing and all that other stuff. I know if I start advertising and selling my device I will fail.

What do I do?

I feel so different from other people and I feel like a failure

:mad:

I have such a hard time following instructions in school and research. I'll probably be a failure in the corporate world too. I feel my only chance in life is to start my own organization.

Hey there royzizzle.

I would like to firstly say that for what you want to achieve, you really need to have an "optimism above the odds" especially if you want to be an entrepreneur. One thing about entrepreneurs is that for a lot of entrepreneurial avenues, lots of people, even those with a lot of practical experience in their particular field will warn you NOT to go down the path that you have planned. If you think of yourself as a failure even before starting, you won't have much of a chance to make it in the long haul. I think if you want to go down this path, Choppy's advice is probably one of the best bits of advice you can get.

Another thing is to get a business mind. I notice that your type of business will be something requiring a fair amount of intellectual capital and hence I suggest you take a crash course on intellectual property. Some universities have courses on IP for engineers and I would recommend you taking one.

Also on the topic of IP, assuming your invention is patentable (and more importantly worth patenting) you will at some point need to tell someone of your invention prototype. Also as Choppy has mentioned, you will need to jump through regulatory hoops for getting your device approved for general use.

Another thing is to learn to hone your social skills. As a businessman you have your reputation and if you destroy that it can destroy yourself and your business. You said that you make people angry. My advice is find out how you do that and stop doing it immediately. When you talk with anyone whether it be a supplier, a customer, a distributor, your lawyer, whoever, you are going to make impressions and you better hope they are good. If you sour your representation with one person, things can get around and it can destroy you.

One thing that is definitely in your favor is that you say you are passionate about what you are doing and you have mentioned the personal side of this due to what you have. That is definitely the sort of thing that an entrepreneur should have. You'd be surprised about how many people do things for the wrong reasons. If what you've said is true, then because you are able to relate to people that have a problem and want to fix it, with that kind of attitude and perspective you will go far.

Apart from what you've said about personally having learning disabilities and wanting to help people is there any other reason why you would want to start a business from scratch rather than take your ideas to an established business and utilize their resources?

I'm going to spend the summer taking a business, a finance, and a speech class.

I've also talked to the school technology office and they can help me with my venture because they may have some interest in my device.

I actually feel great right now. I feel like I can be successful if I create something special that is affordable and drastically improves symptoms.

Yes, my attitude can be very inconsistant. I feel like a whole different person from yesterday :/

Thanks for the responses. Attitude is important

I'm young. I'm sure I can get back up and learn even if I fail

I can understand your passion for developing devices that can help individuals with learning disorders. Your personal experience with a learning disorder has fueled your drive to make a positive impact in this field, and that is truly admirable.

Starting your own company can be a challenging and rewarding journey, and it is clear that you have the determination and skills to succeed. While your GPA and recommendation letter situation may be a concern, there are still steps you can take to achieve your goals.

Firstly, continue to work hard and excel in your current academic program. This will not only improve your GPA but also demonstrate your dedication and potential to future employers and graduate schools.

Secondly, it is important to maintain positive relationships with your professors and colleagues. Even if you have had a disagreement with a professor in the past, it is never too late to apologize and try to repair the relationship. Building strong connections and obtaining strong recommendation letters can greatly benefit you in the future.

Furthermore, consider reaching out to other professionals in the field who may be able to provide mentorship or guidance on how to market and sell your device. Networking and seeking advice from experienced individuals can be invaluable in your journey.

Lastly, do not let your learning disorder or any negative thoughts hold you back from pursuing your dreams. Many successful individuals have faced challenges and setbacks, but it is their determination and perseverance that has led them to success.

In conclusion, continue to work hard, build positive relationships, seek advice, and never give up on your passion and goals. I have no doubt that with your dedication and drive, you will achieve great things and make a positive impact on those with learning disorders.

Related to What Should I Do? Asian-American's Journey to Start Own Company

1. What challenges do Asian-Americans face when starting their own company?

One of the biggest challenges Asian-Americans face when starting their own company is a lack of access to financial resources and capital. This can be due to systemic barriers and discrimination within the business world. Additionally, Asian-Americans may also face cultural and language barriers, as well as a lack of representation and mentorship within the entrepreneurial community.

2. How can Asian-Americans overcome these challenges?

Asian-Americans can overcome these challenges by seeking out resources and support from organizations and programs specifically designed to help minority entrepreneurs. They can also network and connect with other Asian-American entrepreneurs to gain mentorship and advice. Additionally, they can educate themselves on financial management and seek out alternative funding sources such as grants and loans.

3. What skills and qualities are important for an Asian-American entrepreneur?

Some important skills and qualities for an Asian-American entrepreneur include resilience, adaptability, and determination. They should also have a strong work ethic, innovative thinking, and the ability to take calculated risks. Strong communication and networking skills are also crucial for building relationships and securing funding.

4. How can Asian-American entrepreneurs promote diversity and inclusion in their companies?

One way Asian-American entrepreneurs can promote diversity and inclusion in their companies is by actively seeking out and hiring diverse employees. They can also implement policies and practices that promote inclusivity and create a welcoming and supportive workplace for all employees. Additionally, they can use their platform and success to advocate for diversity and representation within the business world.

5. What resources are available for Asian-American entrepreneurs?

There are several resources available for Asian-American entrepreneurs, including organizations and programs specifically tailored to support minority entrepreneurs. These include the National Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce, the Asian American Business Development Center, and the Minority Business Development Agency. There are also numerous online resources, such as webinars, networking groups, and funding opportunities, that can provide valuable support and guidance for Asian-American entrepreneurs.