Study Plan for Physics Students: What to Study After Calculus III?

• Thread starter Tosh5457
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary mathematics courses for a physics student and the importance of studying differential equations, functional analysis, and differential geometry. It is also mentioned that Fourier transforms may be covered in the second year, and it is recommended to ask a second-year student for clarification on the proper way to study linear algebra.
Tosh5457
Hello, I'm studying Physics at the university, and I realized that the 1st semester of the 2nd year is the last semester that has a mathematics discipline (it's differential and integral calculus III).
I had linear algebra & analytic geometry and differential and integral calculus I on the 1st semester, and now on the 2nd semester I have differential and integral calculus II.

Obviously they don't teach all the necessary maths at the university (and 3rd year physics students complain about it)... So now I'm going to study linear algebra by myself because I didn't study it much last semester.
My question is what should I study next? I'm not rushing it, I know I'll still take a long time to study linear algebra, but I'd just like to know from the start what should be my plan.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should study differential equations thoroughly, first ODE's and then PDE's. They are extremely important in physics.

Klockan3 said:
You should study differential equations thoroughly, first ODE's and then PDE's. They are extremely important in physics.

Ok but we study that at the university, so can you suggest another thing?

Functional analysis (for quantum physics) or differential geometry (for relativity) seem like good options...

Tosh5457 said:
Ok but we study that at the university, so can you suggest another thing?
Are you sure that you did it properly? If you did that just in your calculus courses and not in a proper one then it wasn't done properly. Do you know what Fourier transforms are for example?

Klockan3 said:
Are you sure that you did it properly? If you did that just in your calculus courses and not in a proper one then it wasn't done properly. Do you know what Fourier transforms are for example?

I haven't learned it yet, I think it's on the 2nd year. I don't know if it's done properly though, I'm going to ask someone on the 2nd year about it.

Last edited:
Tosh5457 said:
I haven't learned it yet, I think it's on the 2nd year. I don't know if it's done properly though, I'm going to ask someone on the 2nd year about it.
If you got a separate course for it then it is probably alright. But it is there most of the linear algebra is useful for example.

What should I study now?

This is a common question for students who are unsure of which subject to focus on. Here are some frequently asked questions about this topic and their answers.

1. What are my interests and strengths?

It's important to choose a subject that you are passionate about and have a natural aptitude for. Consider your hobbies, activities you enjoy, and subjects you excel in. These can give you an idea of what you may want to study.

2. What careers are available in different fields of study?

Research various fields and their corresponding careers to get an idea of what you could potentially do with a certain degree. This can help you narrow down your options and choose a subject that aligns with your career goals.

3. What courses are required for my desired degree?

Once you have decided on a major, research the specific courses that are required for that degree. This will give you an idea of the coursework you will be taking and if it aligns with your interests.

4. What are the job prospects for my chosen field of study?

It's important to consider the job market for your chosen field of study. Look at current job openings, salary expectations, and growth opportunities to determine if this field is a viable option for you.

5. Can I speak with an advisor or mentor for guidance?

If you're still unsure about what to study, don't hesitate to reach out to an academic advisor or mentor for guidance. They can provide valuable insights and help you make an informed decision about your academic path.