What sort of mathematics for mathematical physics?

In summary: Advanced Linear Algebra is also necessary in many physics courses.In summary, the person is advising the person to do more maths subjects than physics subjects in order to achieve a mathematical or theoretical physics degree. They advise the person to decide what they are best at and then do that. They say that problems usually have multiple ways to attack them, so choosing either one is not important. They also say that if the person wants to pursue a mathematical or theoretical physics degree they will need to know both maths and physics.
mitcho
I am hoping to do mathematical or theoretical physics after my undergraduate science degree. I have been advised to do more maths subjects than physics subjects in order to achieve this. I am double majoring in maths and physics and I am just wondering what area of maths I should be focusing on more. my concern is that I want to leave the door for pure maths open. This means I have the choice of algebra or analysis... Does anyone have any advice on which is more useful in modern mathematical/theoretical physics?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mitcho said:
I am hoping to do mathematical or theoretical physics after my undergraduate science degree. I have been advised to do more maths subjects than physics subjects in order to achieve this. I am double majoring in maths and physics and I am just wondering what area of maths I should be focusing on more. my concern is that I want to leave the door for pure maths open. This means I have the choice of algebra or analysis... Does anyone have any advice on which is more useful in modern mathematical/theoretical physics?
Thanks

How the hell would we be able to answer this?

I can think of 30 reasons for why you should pick either one. I suppose it will come down to what you are best at. If you hate analysis and that scares you then drop it.

Personally algebra would be less use if you want to go into Quantum Mechanics. Even then do Matrix analysis or advanced linear algebra stuff if you can. Analysis overall is probably more useful. Saying that decide which you are at best at or what interests you and then do that. Don't be thinking that it won't be use later on or something is more useful.

Problems usually have multiple ways to attack it. Which, makes your choices not important.

If you can only pick one of the two, Analysis or Algebra you should pick the one that you think you'll enjoy more.

P.S
You'll need to know both at least as far as Bsc studies goes in order to procceed to advanced studies.

I have taken courses in Functional Analysis and Differential Geometry, there are always algebraic structures luring there.
(be it Ideals in FA or tensors in DG).

You will probably find analysis, geometry, and linear algebra most useful for a long time. You should learn some algebra eventually too, however. For much of classroom-based physics, your instructor will introduce ideas as necessary.

you need lie algebra for mathematical physics.

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that applies mathematical tools and techniques to solve problems and understand phenomena in the field of physics. It involves the use of mathematical models, equations, and theories to describe physical systems and make predictions about their behavior.

2. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is essential in physics as it provides the language and tools necessary to describe and understand the laws of nature. It allows us to formulate and solve complex equations, make predictions, and test theories through mathematical calculations and proofs.

3. What kind of mathematics is used in mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics uses a variety of mathematical concepts and methods from various branches of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and group theory. These tools are used to describe and analyze physical phenomena and make mathematical models of the natural world.

4. How does mathematics contribute to the development of new theories in physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in the development of new theories in physics by providing a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. Mathematical models and equations can be used to test and refine theories, and mathematical reasoning can help to discover new relationships and patterns in physical phenomena.

5. What are some examples of mathematical concepts used in mathematical physics?

Some examples of mathematical concepts used in mathematical physics include vector calculus for describing motion and forces, partial differential equations for describing the behavior of fields, and group theory for understanding symmetries and conservation laws. Other important concepts include probability and statistics, topology, and functional analysis.