What Steps Are Misunderstood in Solving Non-Linear Homogeneous Equations?

• Thread starter fireandwater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving non-linear homogeneous equations and using substitution to simplify the equation. The final step involves cleaning up the algebraic equations to find the solution.
fireandwater
Hi. I'm having a problem understanding how to solve non-linear homogeneous equations. For example, (x[tex]^{}2[/tex]+y[tex]^{}2[/tex])dx +xydy = 0 ; x=1, y=1

I understand that y=xv, v=y/x, and dy=xdv +vdx

To sub in,
x[tex]^{}2[/tex] + (v[tex]^{}2[/tex]x[tex]^{}2[/tex])dx +x[tex]^{}2[/tex]v(vdx+xdv) = 0

Here's where I get lost:
x[tex]^{}2[/tex][(1+v[tex]^{}2[/tex])dx +v[tex]^{}2[/tex]dx +xvdv] = 0 =>

x[tex]^{}2[/tex](1+v[tex]^{}2[/tex])dx +v[tex]^{}2[/tex]dx+xvdv = 0 =>

1+2v[tex]^{}2[/tex]dx +xvdv = 0 =>

1+2v[tex]^{}2[/tex]dx = -xvdv =>

[tex]\int-dx/x[/tex] = int(vdv/1+2v^2) =>

-ln x = 1/4 ln (1+2v[tex]^{}2[/tex]) +C =>

ln x[tex]^{}4[/tex] + ln(1+2v[tex]^{}2[/tex]) +4c = A

I think I'm just getting lost in all the algebraic "cleaning up", but I can't figure it out. Can someone pick it apart for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
fireandwater said:
Hi. I'm having a problem understanding how to solve non-linear homogeneous equations. For example, (x[tex]^{}2[/tex]+y[tex]^{}2[/tex])dx +xydy = 0 ; x=1, y=1

I understand that y=xv, v=y/x, and dy=xdv +vdx

To sub in,
x[tex]^{}2[/tex] + (v[tex]^{}2[/tex]x[tex]^{}2[/tex])dx +x[tex]^{}2[/tex]v(vdx+xdv) = 0
THis should read:
[tex]x^{2}dx+v^{2}x^{2}dx+x^{2}v(vdx+xdv)=0[/tex]

Clean this up as follows:
[tex](x^{2}+v^{2}x^{2}+x^{2}v^{2})dx+x^{3}vdv=0[/tex]
That is to say:
[tex]x^{2}(1+2v^{2})dx+x^{3}vdv=0[/tex]
or, divided by x^{2}:
[tex](1+2v^{2})dx+xvdv=0[/tex]

See if you follow this so far!

It looks like you have the right approach, but there are a few small errors in your steps. Let's go through it together to see where you may have gone wrong.

First, we start with the given equation: (x^{}2+y^{}2)dx +xydy = 0

Next, we use the substitution y=xv, v=y/x, and dy=xdv +vdx to get:

x^{}2 + (v^{}2x^{}2)dx +x^{}2v(vdx+xdv) = 0

Now, we can simplify the equation by factoring out an x^{}2:

x^{}2[(1+v^{}2)dx +v^{}2dx +xvdv] = 0

Note that you have a small error here, as you have written x^{}2v(vdx) instead of x^{}2v(xdv). This is just a small mistake, but it's important to be careful with these substitutions.

Next, we can combine like terms inside the brackets to get:

x^{}2(1+v^{}2)dx +x^{}2v(vdx) = 0

Again, there is a small error here, as you have written x^{}2v(vdx) instead of x^{}2v(xdv).

Now, we can use the substitution v=y/x to get:

x^{}2(1+v^{}2)dx +xyv(xdv) = 0

Note that we can simplify this further by dividing both sides by x:

x(1+v^{}2)dx +yv(xdv) = 0

Now, we can integrate both sides with respect to x to get:

∫x(1+v^{}2)dx + ∫yv(xdv) = ∫0dx

The right side is just a constant, so we can ignore it. For the left side, we can use the power rule to integrate x(1+v^{}2)dx, which gives us:

(1/2)x^{}2 + (1/2)x^{}2v^{}2 + C = 0

Now, we can use the substitution v=y/x to get:

(1/2)x^{}2 + (1/2)y^{}2 + C

Related to What Steps Are Misunderstood in Solving Non-Linear Homogeneous Equations?

1. What is a homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation is a mathematical equation where all the terms have the same degree or power. This means that all the variables in the equation have the same exponent.

2. How do you solve a homogeneous equation?

To solve a homogeneous equation, you can use the method of substitution or separation of variables. In substitution, you substitute a new variable for the original one and then solve the resulting equation. In separation of variables, you separate the variables on one side of the equation and the constants on the other side.

3. What is the purpose of solving homogeneous equations?

Solving homogeneous equations is important in many areas of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows us to model and analyze systems that exhibit symmetry and have constant properties.

4. Can a homogeneous equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a homogeneous equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation is not dependent on any specific values of the variables, so there can be an infinite number of solutions.

5. Are all homogeneous equations linear?

No, not all homogeneous equations are linear. A linear equation is one where the highest power of the variables is 1. Homogeneous equations can have higher powers, making them non-linear.