1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to build for high school project?

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    I'm doing a high school physics project on particle accelerators. I know it's not realistic to build an actual particle accelerator, but I'd love to be able to build some model of something that works to go along with the powerpoint. I saw a video of someone using a ping pong ball with conductive paint and copper tape to accelerate the ping pong ball, and I wanted to do something of that sort but couldn't find instructions. If anyone knows of something I could build and has instructions that would be awesome.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2
  4. Apr 3, 2013 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Here's a demonstration of the Bernoulli Effect:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Apr 3, 2013 #4
    How about using 'gaussian gun', it is about metal balls accelerates due to the attractions of magnetic forces, maybe it is the same as Vodkacannon's idea.

http://www.miniscience.com/kits/Gauss_Rifle/ <- maybe this link can help you to get the idea.

6. Apr 4, 2013 #5
    This is the video I initially saw:

After some research, I believe it's basically a bowl with aluminum or copper tape strips, and a conductive ping pong ball. Applying a high voltage creates the electric field. Is there a simple way to build something like this without taking apart a TV monitor?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Apr 5, 2013 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook