What to do when second partial derivative test is inconclusive

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems with a critical point at (0,0) where the second derivatives and mixed second derivative are all zero, making the second partial derivative test inconclusive. The individual is looking for alternative methods to determine if the critical point is a saddle point, and suggests considering the function along different curves or using the third derivative. The function in question is f(x,y) = (x^2)y + x(y^2), but the focus is on finding a method rather than the solution.
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

I have two problems where there is a critical point of f(x,y) at (0,0), but the second derivatives and mixed second derivative are all zero. The second partial derivative test is therefore inconclusive- all the information I can find online/in my notes just says it is inconclusive and doesn't offer an alternative method. If anyone could give me a link or even just tell me what I should be googling that would be really helpful! Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I vaguely think I could show the critical point was a saddle point if I could show along one curve f(x,y) is positive as (x,y) -> (0,0) and along another curve f(x,y) is negative as (x,y) -> (0,0) but I have no theorem that states this.

Physics news on Phys.org
so in the single variable case you would consider the 3rd derivative

if you consider a passing along a line eg x or y axis, or y=x, as you say you could either consider the 3rd derivative, however whilst you may be able to show a saddle point, it won't be able to confirm an extremum

so what was the function?

The first one is f(x,y) = (x^2)y + x(y^2)

but I was really after ideas for a method not the solution.

well i don't know any cook book methods, but you could have a think about what happens to the higher order derivatives, or the previous idea

however for this case I would consider the line y=x (or the axes)

Related to What to do when second partial derivative test is inconclusive

1. What is the second partial derivative test?

The second partial derivative test is a method used in multivariable calculus to determine the nature of a critical point (maximum, minimum, or saddle point) of a function. It involves taking the second partial derivatives of the function and analyzing their signs at the critical point.

2. How do you know when the second partial derivative test is inconclusive?

The second partial derivative test is inconclusive when the signs of the second partial derivatives at the critical point are either all positive, all negative, or a mix of positive and negative. This means that the test cannot determine the nature of the critical point and further analysis is needed.

3. What should I do when the second partial derivative test is inconclusive?

When the second partial derivative test is inconclusive, you can try using the first partial derivative test or the Hessian matrix to determine the nature of the critical point. You can also graph the function to visually analyze the behavior near the critical point.

4. Can a function have more than one critical point where the second partial derivative test is inconclusive?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points where the second partial derivative test is inconclusive. This can happen when the function has a saddle point or when the function is not well-behaved at the critical point (e.g. the function is not differentiable).

5. Is it possible for the second partial derivative test to be inconclusive but the critical point is still a minimum or maximum?

Yes, it is possible for the second partial derivative test to be inconclusive but the critical point is still a minimum or maximum. This can happen when the function is not well-behaved at the critical point, or when the test is unable to determine the nature of the critical point due to the complexity of the function.