What to include in an introduction?

• MHB
  • Thread starter matqkks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Introduction
In summary, the first course in elementary number theory covers various topics such as linear Diophantine equations, modular arithmetic, quadratic residues, and non-linear Diophantine equations. These topics are interconnected and have practical applications, including solving Fermat's Last Theorem and using number theory in cryptography. Additionally, historical problems such as Archimedes's cattle problem demonstrate the complexity and relevance of number theory.
matqkks
I am writing an introduction to a first course in elementary number theory. The topics are linear Diophantine equations, modular arithmetic including FLT and Euler's Generalization, quadratic residues and Non - linear Diophantine equations.
How can I write an introduction to this showing linkage between the various topics and hook potential students to do this course? What is the motivation on covering these topics?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
matqkks said:
I am writing an introduction to a first course in elementary number theory.
The topics are linear Diophantine equations, modular arithmetic including FLT
and Euler's Generalization, quadratic residues and Non - linear Diophantine equations.
How can I write an introduction to this showing linkage between the various topics
and hook potential students to do this course?
What is the motivation on covering these topics?
Hmmm...perhaps what "hooked" YOU...get my drift?

Possible topics that may fit your requirements:
1. Fermat's Last Theorem. Original statement by Fermat as a marginal note. Margins to small to contain Fermat's alleged proof. Attemps to solve led to advances in other ares of math. Large prize offered for a solution, leading to many "crackpot" solutions. Ultimate proof used math unknown in Fermat's time.

2. Number theory and cryptography. Number theory provides computationally complex problems (e.g., prime factorization, elliptic curve logarithm problem) that lead to codes that are unbreakable in practice. Used in credit card encryption and other situations.

3. Archimedes's cattle problem (see here). Leads to a non-linear Diophantine equation (i.e., Pell's Equation). The solution has more than 200 000 digits and wasn't written out until the advent of digital computers.

1. What is the purpose of an introduction?

An introduction serves to provide background information on the topic, establish the importance of the research, and set the context for the study.

2. How long should an introduction be?

The length of an introduction can vary depending on the type of research and the specific guidelines of a particular journal or publication. However, as a general rule, an introduction should be around 10% of the total length of the paper.

3. What should be included in an introduction?

An introduction should include a brief overview of the research topic, the research question or hypothesis, the significance of the study, and a summary of the main points of the paper.

4. Is it necessary to include a literature review in the introduction?

It is not necessary to include a full literature review in the introduction, but it is important to provide some background information on previous research related to the topic to help establish the relevance and importance of the study.

5. Can I include personal opinions or anecdotes in the introduction?

No, the introduction should be written in an objective and academic tone. Personal opinions and anecdotes should be reserved for the discussion section of the paper.