What to learn in classical mechanics?How to learn it well?

• Thread starter zergju
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classical
In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding classical mechanics, particularly the mathematical aspect. They find problems difficult and are seeking recommendations for books to help them better understand the subject. They also mention finding a book by Thorton easier to understand than the one by Goldstein. The advice given is to focus on mastering the related math to better understand classical mechanics.
zergju
I am having a course on classical mechanics and find it rather hard..I mean its just too mathematical for me.. I find that lagrangian is mostly about changing coordinates and using formulas... but when I come to doing problems myself i find them quite difficult, like simple problem such as prooving FERMAT's law with calculus of variations.. and so on.. It just seems that I do not know how and where to start
What can I do bout this? is there any recomendation from u guys? any book recommandations?
I just feel that a book by thorton is easier understanding and yet encluding more details than the goldstein one.. am i misjudging?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to say. Generally, you need to develop the math background to understand how the math is being applied in physics. So the advice would be to study the related math and master it.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are the key concepts in classical mechanics?

The key concepts in classical mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the principles of work and energy. These concepts form the foundation of understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

3. How can I learn classical mechanics?

To learn classical mechanics, it is important to first have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus. You can then study textbooks or take courses that cover the key concepts and principles of classical mechanics. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and conducting experiments to solidify your understanding.

4. What are some tips for learning classical mechanics well?

Some tips for learning classical mechanics well include understanding the fundamental concepts and principles, practicing problem-solving, and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and tutors. It is also important to regularly review and reinforce your understanding of the material.

5. How can I apply classical mechanics in real life?

Classical mechanics can be applied in many real-life situations, from understanding the motion of objects in sports to predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It also forms the basis for engineering and other fields of physics such as fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. By learning classical mechanics, you can develop a deeper understanding of the physical world around you and its behavior.