What to review from linear algebra for a differential equations class?

In summary, if you are preparing for a class in ordinary differential equations and have about 2 weeks to review, it would be beneficial to focus on eigenvalues, diagonalization, and the Jordan canonical form. Additionally, studying the matrix exponential and reviewing concepts such as bases, linear transformations, and determinants would also be helpful. However, if your course only requires a basic understanding of linear algebra, then focusing on matrix algebra and eigenvectors would suffice. Keep in mind that some topics, such as canonical transformations, may not be covered until a later course in linear algebra.
-Dragoon-
I'm going to be taking a class in ordinary differential equations over the summer and have about 2 weeks to prepare. The class has linear algebra as a prerequisite, and I just wanted to know what I would need to review from linear algebra to prepare myself for the course?

Physics news on Phys.org
matrices

Depends on the course of course. But I think that review eigenvalues, diagonalization and the Jordan canonical form would be ideal.
Maybe you can even review the matrix exponential (or study it if you haven't seen it, it's not too hard).

the absolutely basic stuff to review is bases, and the fact that the general solution to a linear equation of form Lx = y, is formed from a particular solution plus a general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation Lx = 0.

So just matrix algebra and eigenvalues/eigenvectors would suffice? What about things like vector spaces, subspaces, spanning sets, and bases? Or linear transformations/mappings and determinants?

Also, I didn't cover canonical transformations which is covered in the linear algebra II class that I haven't taken yet.

I'm taking Differential Equations now. At my school, LA is just suggested, not required, for DE, but we have definitely run into LA concepts such as determinants of matrices, linear independence, bases of functions, etc.

1. What is the purpose of reviewing linear algebra for a differential equations class?

Linear algebra provides the necessary mathematical tools and concepts to understand and solve differential equations. It allows us to represent and manipulate systems of equations, which are commonly encountered in differential equations.

2. Which specific topics from linear algebra should I review for a differential equations class?

Some of the most important topics to review from linear algebra for a differential equations class include matrix operations, vector spaces, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations. It can also be helpful to review techniques for solving systems of linear equations.

3. How much time should I dedicate to reviewing linear algebra for a differential equations class?

The amount of time needed to review linear algebra for a differential equations class may vary depending on your level of familiarity with the subject. It is recommended to allocate at least a few hours to review the key concepts and practice solving problems before starting the differential equations class.

4. Are there any online resources or textbooks you recommend for reviewing linear algebra for a differential equations class?

There are many online resources and textbooks available that can help with reviewing linear algebra for a differential equations class. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and textbooks such as "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang.

5. Can I still do well in my differential equations class if I am not confident in my understanding of linear algebra?

While having a strong understanding of linear algebra is important for success in a differential equations class, it is possible to still do well with some review and practice. Make sure to communicate with your instructor if you are struggling with the material and seek additional resources or support if needed.