What to Wear for a Hot Weather Interview?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, Monique is preparing for an important interview by selecting a dress that is appropriate for both the professional setting and the weather. The dress is blue and will not distract from the proceedings. The leggings or pantyhose should be black to match the outfit. Shoes should be comfortable and appropriate for the interview.

Which outfit should I choose?

• The dress

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • The pants with fitted top

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Find something else to wear

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Evo said:
Hang in there Monique, I know this has to be nerve-wracking.
Thanks Evo, this grant really is a career maker or breaker. Last year I didn't get it for a stupid "reason" and that was so depressing, if it happens again.. let's not think of that :smile:

Tomorrow my sister is coming to town and we'll be out in excellent summer weather, after that I'm visiting the in-laws for the weekend (and squeezing in paper writing). It will be a nice distraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Monique said:
Thanks Evo, this grant really is a career maker or breaker. Last year I didn't get it for a stupid "reason" and that was so depressing, if it happens again.. let's not think of that :smile:

Tomorrow my sister is coming to town and we'll be out in excellent summer weather, after that I'm visiting the in-laws for the weekend (and squeezing in paper writing). It will be a nice distraction.

It'll also be nicer to have people to celebrate with if you get the email while visiting them.

Monique said:
I couldn't take that kind of pressure. You never know what kind of bias towards or against something a person on the panel might have that could affect the decision. From being familiar with your level of knowledge and dedication to your work, I know that on the merits of your presentation, it's worthy. Hope you hear good news soon!

Just received the e-mail, didn't get the grant. My hands are shaking, I'm that upset. At least my sister should be here in 5 minutes and we can do something fun.

Monique said:
Just received the e-mail, didn't get the grant. My hands are shaking, I'm that upset. At least my sister should be here in 5 minutes and we can do something fun.

I'm so sorry, Monique. :frown:

:frown: Sorry to hear it :cry:.

If I were there I'd take you out and get you sloppy drunk.

Monique said:
Nuts!

Monique said:
Nooo. :cry:

I wasn't the only one upset, I was walking in the museum when my boss called. She and other seniors couldn't believe I didn't get it. She'd called the program director to find out the reason behind the decision. She only needed to mention my name (it's a personal grant) and he said I was a very unfortunate case and he was sorry too. While he's not supposed to disclose details of what happened in the decision process, his opinion was that it would come out anyway. So lot's of information followed.

Yeah, I was among the top candidates, not one in the grey area that needed to be sorted out in the interviews. The thing that caused me a headache indeed is the reason they gave for not granting. Not a scientific reason, but an unjust political one. There is money for a PhD-student, that's for them a reason to kick me out of science.

Point is that my contract stops in 6 months, so I'll be out of job. Also I was nominated for a junior PI track by the head of the department, that means a substantial financial investment on their part, so not something they do on the fly. I do need a contract for at least three years to be eligible: bye bye junior PI.

Later I get another phone call. My boss contacted the head of the department (contains 300+ people, he's the big boss) and his reply: we'll take it to court, no question about it. Many people have been contacted already. They're all standing up for me, isn't that sweet? :shy:

That's quite a story/saga. It's great to have the support of your department, and I hope it works out in your favor.

Monique said:
I wasn't the only one upset, I was walking in the museum when my boss called. She and other seniors couldn't believe I didn't get it. She'd called the program director to find out the reason behind the decision. She only needed to mention my name (it's a personal grant) and he said I was a very unfortunate case and he was sorry too. While he's not supposed to disclose details of what happened in the decision process, his opinion was that it would come out anyway. So lot's of information followed.

Yeah, I was among the top candidates, not one in the grey area that needed to be sorted out in the interviews. The thing that caused me a headache indeed is the reason they gave for not granting. Not a scientific reason, but an unjust political one. There is money for a PhD-student, that's for them a reason to kick me out of science.

Point is that my contract stops in 6 months, so I'll be out of job. Also I was nominated for a junior PI track by the head of the department, that means a substantial financial investment on their part, so not something they do on the fly. I do need a contract for at least three years to be eligible: bye bye junior PI.

Later I get another phone call. My boss contacted the head of the department (contains 300+ people, he's the big boss) and his reply: we'll take it to court, no question about it. Many people have been contacted already. They're all standing up for me, isn't that sweet? :shy:

Whatever comes of it, it's a great thing to have so many people back you and your work. I hope it works out, Monique!

From all that backing, it sounds like that even if you don't get the position you planned, another position will be open for you. I wish so much that I could help.

Unfortunately it's not only about a position, but also about prestige and making a name. The personal grant would open a lot of doors and greatly increase chances of obtaining other funds, it's a domino effect (unfortunately). Last year I didn't get the grant and the decision letter stated that they didn't find me a good candidate, because I didn't obtain other grants (I just obtained a PhD!) and they rejected me on the basis of a suggestion from a reviewer who gave a perfect score (A+).

I'm sure the department would do everything to keep me, but I wonder whether I'd want to stay on a condition that I'm subordinate and not on my own name..

Monique said:
Unfortunately it's not only about a position, but also about prestige and making a name. The personal grant would open a lot of doors and greatly increase chances of obtaining other funds, it's a domino effect (unfortunately). Last year I didn't get the grant and the decision letter stated that they didn't find me a good candidate, because I didn't obtain other grants (I just obtained a PhD!) and they rejected me on the basis of a suggestion from a reviewer who gave a perfect score (A+).

I'm sure the department would do everything to keep me, but I wonder whether I'd want to stay on a condition that I'm subordinate and not on my own name..
I mean the contacts could open doors for you elsewhere, if there is an elsewhere, I don't know the situation where you live there.

{{{hugs}}}

Yes, definitely, I now know who my friends are in the department :approve:
And here, thanks Evo! Astronuc! Dembadon! lisab! and others who were supportive! :biggrin: