What Type of Mechanism Converts Up and Down Movement into Rotational Movement?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chantry09
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mechanism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Chantry09
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I was just wondering what kind of mechanism is used in this video

It converts the up and down movement into rotational movement, and it all seems very compact and smooth.

James
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Its worth noting that the reciprocating motion is the powered motion and the rotational movement is the output
 
It says, its a Stirling engine, just a multi cylindered version.
The acutal moving parts are simply a crank-slider mechanism.

I'm assuming this wasn't what you wanted from an answer, could you clarify exactly what it is you wanted to know please?
 
Last edited:
Hi, i know what engine it is, I am after the mechanism that converts the reciprocating motion into the rotational movement of the flywheel at the top.

I don't think a crank and slider mechanism is what is used, since the reciprocation motion is on the y axis, and the rotation movement is pivoting on the y axis, not the x axis.
 
Too bad you can't see the mechanism. Looks to me like a swash plate that's pushing the pistons, not the other way around.

Basically, it has a rotating plate that's set off at an angle from the central axis. As it goes around, the pistons get pushed in and then come back out as the sloped plate surface goes past each piston. There's nothing to pull the piston back out like a conventional crankshaft machine, so the pistons are generally spring loaded.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I see, that's quite interesting actually. Do you think a circular cam with a wave cut into its circumference and then attached to the cylinders via rollers would also be viable? It would mean I wouldn't have to use springs to push the pistons back down.
 
Spadez said:
Ah I see, that's quite interesting actually. Do you think a circular cam with a wave cut into its circumference and then attached to the cylinders via rollers would also be viable? It would mean I wouldn't have to use springs to push the pistons back down.
I don't see any reason that wouldn't work.
Just for reference to the other website you have the question at:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=263186&page=1
 
Last edited by a moderator: