Matrix Problem: Solving for H(^T)*H with P and H matrices

• Thread starter hivesaeed4
  • Start date
In summary, H(^T)*H is a mathematical expression representing the product of the transpose of matrix H and matrix H. It is calculated by first transposing matrix H and then multiplying it by itself using standard matrix multiplication rules. It has many applications in science, particularly in statistics and data analysis, and can be used to calculate covariance matrices and solve optimization problems. Additionally, H(^T)*H can be used to solve a system of linear equations and has special properties such as being symmetric and positive semi-definite, making it useful in various mathematical and statistical applications.
hivesaeed4
Problem:

If P is a n x 1 matrix such that P( ^T)*P = 1 and H = I - 2PP(^T), then H(^T)*H is ?

Note :

A(^T) means the transpose of matrix A.

Confusion:

What I don't get is are we supposed to do I (identity matrix-I'm assuming of order 1 x 1) - 2 ? If that is the way we're supposed to do the question then are we supposed to treat 2 as a 1 x 1 matrix. If that's the case then is the following correct:

Since P( ^t)*P = PP(^T) = 1 = [1]

So,

H = I - 2PP(^T) = I - 2PP(^T) = I - 2[1] = [1] - [2] =[-1]

thus,

H(^T)*H = [-1] * [-1](^T) = [-1] * [-1] = [1]

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\renewcommand{\vb}[1]{\mathbf{#1}}
\renewcommand{\hb}[1]{\hat{\mathbf{#1}}}$$

If P is a n x 1 matrix such that P( ^T)*P = 1 and H = I - 2PP(^T), then H(^T)*H is ?

If P is nx1, then it is a vector p.
so, switching to LaTeX, we have ##\vb{p}## so that ##\vb{p}^t\vb{p}=1## so it is a unit vector?

##\vb{H}=\vb{I}-2\vb{p}\vb{p}^t##

Then ##\vb{H}^t\vb{H}=?##

So does this translate to 1x1 matrices ... then
##p_{(1\times 1)}=1##, and ##p^tp=1\times 1=1##, and
##H_{(1\times 1)}=I-2p^tp = 1-2=-1## so
##H^tH = (-1)(-1)=1=I_{(1\times 1)}##
... seems reasonable to me so far.
The trick is to articulate your confusion.
The above is consistent with the matrix formulation if ##\vb{H}^t\vb{H}=\vb{I}## for any ##\vb{p}##.

So can you find a ##\vb{p}## so that:
##\vb{H}^t\vb{H}\neq\vb{I}##

... but I suspect the central question is whether it is (or "when is it...") sensible to treat a scalar as a 1x1 matrix.

For instance - you can multiply a nxn matrix by a scalar - but can yout multiply an nxn matrix by a 1x1 matrix?

##PP^T## is an n-by-n matrix. (prove: ##P## is n-by-1 and ##P^T## is 1-by-n).

So ##PP^T\neq P^TP## unless if n = 1.

##H## is symmetric.

##H^TH=I_{n}## which has dimension n-by-n.

The linear operator you have here is equivalent to

[tex]\underline H(a)=a-2(p \cdot a)p[/tex]

This is a reflection operator, and since it is symmetric, all you have to do is think about what you get when you reflect twice.

Reflecting twice off the same "surface" gets you the original vector back.

@Simon Bridge, I think you misread the question or made typo part way through your answer. if should be ##H = I - 2pp^t## not ##H = I - 2 p^t p##.

@the OP, as post #3 said, ##pp^T## is symmetric, so ##H## is symmetric. So ##H^T = H##.

To answer the question, you just have to multiply out ##H^T H## = ##H.H## and simplify it using ##P^T P = 1##.

2P means a scalar (2) times a matrix (P). The matrix I has the same dimension as ##P P^T##, which is n by n.

Thanks.

<sigh> typo - thanks Aleph.

1. What is H(^T)*H?

H(^T)*H is a mathematical expression that represents the product of the transpose of matrix H and matrix H.

2. How is H(^T)*H calculated?

H(^T)*H is calculated by first transposing matrix H, then multiplying it by matrix H using standard matrix multiplication rules.

3. What is the significance of H(^T)*H in science?

H(^T)*H has many applications in science, particularly in fields such as statistics and data analysis. It is often used to calculate covariance matrices and to solve optimization problems.

4. Can H(^T)*H be used to solve equations?

Yes, H(^T)*H can be used to solve a system of linear equations. This is because it can represent a set of equations in matrix form and be solved using matrix algebra.

5. Are there any special properties of H(^T)*H?

Yes, H(^T)*H has several special properties, such as being symmetric and positive semi-definite. These properties make it useful in various mathematical and statistical applications.