1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What would cause a magnetic field in this case?

1. Dec 26, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I've been wondering what causes a magnetic field, current or an electric field. If you had a material with extremely low susceptibility and extremely high permeability then what would cause a magnetic field in this material, a current or an electric field (as long as whatever is causing the electric field is not in contact with the material).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2017 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Both an electric current and a time-dependent electric field induce a magnetic field. A static electric field does not lead to a magnetic field - only indirectly if it leads to currents somewhere.

4. Dec 27, 2017 #3
    But the object that is making the variable electric field will experience a magnetic field made by itself, right? Will it effect the 1st material? (the one mentioned in my original post).

5. Dec 27, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

what object ?? .... be specific

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted