1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would crack easier? An iPhone 6 or an iPad air?

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    If I took a hammer to each of the screens, which would crack first with a minimum amount of force? If I put a screen protector on it, would it change the answer of which one would crack first? I tried to pick two models which had similar frames. If the using different models actually makes it a simpler problem go ahead and try it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Physics is an experimental science.

4. Sep 30, 2014 #3
    Patience, Borek. Before unleashing your inner beast, you must create the hypothesizes!

Anyway, assuming both gadgets use the same Gorilla glass and you put the hammer on the center of their screens: I believe the iPad air will crack easier due to the fact that the iPhone 6 is smaller and a bit thicker & denser. This means it has more support from the frames, and the shockwave can dissipate more easily. than in iPad Air.

Besides, I'd imagine they've built the iPhone 6 much sturdier due to its predisposition to be dropped as well.

5. Sep 30, 2014 #4

Borek

You must have missed the hype:

6. Sep 30, 2014 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, isn't curved displays the new trend anyway?

7. Oct 1, 2014 #6
    If I applied that much torque around the centre of my iPhone 5, it might just crack.

Honestly the iPhone 6's a large area, very thin aluminum phone. What do you guys expect would've happened?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  8. Oct 1, 2014 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the follow up video he bends a similar (slightly thicker?) plastic phone, and it bends back. While trying to bend the aluminum phone back, cracks it. Nice demonstration of plastic vs. elastic material behavior, ironically plastic being the elastic one here.

9. Oct 1, 2014 #8
    Mhm, but I wouldn't do that too many times; it can't be good for the components inside. At any rate, how would you get into a situation where this bending business becomes an issue? As long as you don't try to sit on a large but thin phone while wearing super-skinny jeans this shouldn't be a problem.

10. Oct 1, 2014 #9

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They started doing those bending tests, after some noticed a slight bend from normal usage, within a few days.

11. Oct 1, 2014 #10

Borek

What if you have no choice?

12. Oct 1, 2014 #11
    But if there's a screen protector on it, would the shockwave dissipate easier in the iPad air since there's more surface area? They're meant to absorb most of the impact.

13. Oct 2, 2014 #12
    I don't know. I thought those were only for scratch protection.

Allegedly somebody put it in his back-pocket and sat on it, and it bent, but I don't know the details. At any rate you should be careful with your new, fancy 1000 euro phone.

14. Oct 2, 2014 #13

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess people just assumed they can treat it just like their previous versions. It's not a completely unreasonable
    assumption.

15. Oct 2, 2014 #14

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice snip, Borek. But a large butt would probably cause less bending of the phone.

16. Oct 2, 2014 #15
    Not sure how much more solid the iPhone 5 is compared to the smaller version of iPhone 6.

How many people have actually bent their phones this way? I read that apple had received only 6 reports/complaints about this, so it really can't be that big of a deal.

17. Oct 2, 2014 #16

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to Apple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook