What's in a Name? The Renaming of the Willis Tower

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, the Sears Tower in Chicago will soon be renamed the Willis Tower. The company, Willis, will not have to pay anything for the renaming. There may be some backlash from Chicagoans who are used to calling it the Sears Tower, but the company believes people will eventually embrace the new name. This renaming follows a trend of financial institutions having physical landmarks named after them, as a symbol of power and trust.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"The Willis Tower"

That's what the Sears Tower in Chicago is going to be renamed in the very near future.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-biz-sears-tower-name-change-willis-march12,0,7014962.story

Willis Group said:
"We are actually not having to pay anything for renaming the building."

They're not paying anything?? I've got a sawbuck that says it's the Tom Mattson Tower! I will NEVER call it the Willis Tower!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Come this summer, Willis' name will be on a tower taller than Aon Center.
Nice to know in these uncertain times the priorities of financial institutions remain unchanged.
"We're especially well known in the U.K., but we're relatively unknown in North America. We really feel this will make us a household name in the U.S."
For very small values of well known - I've never heard of them
But what of any potential backlash, or the inability of Chicagoans to call the building anything but Sears Tower? "Old habits die hard but we feel that ultimately people will come to embrace the Willis name," Thoretz said.
No - people will simply completely ignore the new name.
Swiss Re spent a $Bn on their fancy new office block - the tallest building in London.
Nobody calls it the Swiss Re building, only the postman calls it 30 St Mary axe - everybody calls it the Gherkin.

I would like to see something a bit more engaging, like The Tower of Power. Or maybe, The Greater Chicago Phallick Symbol.

Ivan Seeking said:
The Tower of Power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQE5vwlRYHA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQE5vwlRYHA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember them. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I remember them. :biggrin:

Yeah, but it was so long ago that "What is Hip?" is now "Hip Replacement".

Vanadium 50 said:
Yeah, but it was so long ago that "What is Hip?" is now "Hip Replacement".

Not to get too far off-topic, but it was very depressing to see that a Beach Boys tune is used to sell Hoverrounds. :cry: I remember when the Beach Boys were cool, young dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC8x4UdSi50

mgb_phys said:
Come this summer, Willis' name will be on a tower taller than Aon Center.

Nice to know in these uncertain times the priorities of financial institutions remain unchanged.

It's funny that you mention that because that's another renaming that I won't accept. That building is, was, and always will be the Standard Oil building in my mind. Not that I have any particular affection for Standard Oil, but it made for a cool nickname: "Big Stan". :D

mgb_phys said:

Any financial institution has to be trusted to survive. Having a physical landmark named after the institution is a clear statement of power.

misgfool said:
Any financial institution has to be trusted to survive. Having a physical landmark named after the institution is a clear statement of power.
It was more the statement that it is higher than it's competitors building.
Like 5year old going 'ner-ner' to their friends.

1. What is the origin of the phrase "Whatchoo talkin bout Willis?"

The phrase "Whatchoo talkin bout Willis?" originated from the popular TV sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes" which aired from 1978 to 1986. The character Arnold Jackson, played by Gary Coleman, often used this phrase when he didn't understand what someone was saying.

2. Is "Whatchoo talkin bout Willis?" grammatically correct?

No, the phrase is not grammatically correct. It uses colloquial language and slang, which is common in informal speech. The correct way to say it would be "What are you talking about, Willis?"

3. Why is the phrase still used today?

The phrase has become a popular catchphrase and has been referenced in various TV shows, movies, and memes. It has also become a part of pop culture and is often used as a humorous way to express confusion or disbelief.

4. Does the phrase have any deeper meaning?

The phrase itself does not have a deeper meaning, but it can be interpreted as a commentary on the communication barrier between people from different backgrounds or cultures. In the show, Arnold often used it when he didn't understand the wealthy lifestyle of his adoptive family.

5. Has the phrase been used in any other contexts besides "Diff'rent Strokes"?

Yes, the phrase has been used in other TV shows, movies, and music. It has also been referenced in political speeches and advertisements. However, it is most commonly associated with its origin in "Diff'rent Strokes".