What'd happen if two light source collide w/ each other?

In summary, two laser beams that are of the same frequency, but with opposite amplitudes will interfere destructively, but if the beams are of the same frequency and have the same amplitude but are angled towards each other then constructive interference will occur.
Muon neutrino
Imagine this, there are 2 light source (laser perhaps) pointing each other with a distance between them. They have the same frequency, wavelength and amplitude. But, laser 1 start with positive amplitude while the laser 2 start with negative amplitude (start off from negative), what would happen when they collide with each other at the point between them?

Science news on Phys.org
Your asking what happens when monochromatic light beams pass through each other in opposite directions, with opposite phases?

The situation is very unrealistic ... but here goes:

The beams will interfere destructively ... but for every location where the interference is destructive, there will be another where it is constructive. The energy just moves around.

You can easily illustrate this with beams that cross at a slight angle, or are not quite the same frequencies.

Yeah i know its very unrealistic...

I only can imagine if there are only constructive interference. I am sorry but i can't see where the destructive coming from... My bad if i don't make myself clear, but my point is, what would happen when these light sources collide with each other at a point exactly between them (i imagine these light as a single sinusoidal wave).

And what would happen if they have the same phase? Would they cancel each other by destructive interference?

Thanks!

Muon neutrino said:
Imagine this, there are 2 light source (laser perhaps) pointing each other with a distance between them. They have the same frequency, wavelength and amplitude. But, laser 1 start with positive amplitude while the laser 2 start with negative amplitude (start off from negative), what would happen when they collide with each other at the point between them?

You are describing what happens in a standing wave, where a wave is continually reflected at two surfaces and the energy in the resonant space builds up, forming nodes and antinodes. There is a zero net flow of energy (as with your two 'manufactured' beams) but, whereas in a real standing wave, the energy goes nowhere outside the experiment, these two beams will need to be absorbed at either end of their paths. Unfortunately, this situation is not a realistic one to produce because, if the two beams are perfectly aligned - to follow your requirement - then they will each need to be absorbed in the other laser (you cannot do it with any arrangement of mirrors) and, as they need to have exactly the same frequency, each beam will contribute to the laser process in each of the lasers. What you would have would be a sort of double laser with two optical cavities. Where would the light light energy actually go if is perfectly absorbed at each end?

Essentially, if a photonic mode is destructively interfered with then no photons will be emitted into such a mode. So basically, in the OP's ideal example the lasers will not emit photons at the wavelength where the interference exists. Instead the energy will be distributed to other wavelengths within the emission spectrum of the laser.

There are structures called photonic crystals that work on a principle like this. Many examples in literature exist on how emission properties of lasers and other emitters such as quantum dots have been modified using photonic crystals.

Claude.

Likes 1 person
Claude Bile said:
Essentially, if a photonic mode is destructively interfered with then no photons will be emitted into such a mode. So basically, in the OP's ideal example the lasers will not emit photons at the wavelength where the interference exists. Instead the energy will be distributed to other wavelengths within the emission spectrum of the laser.

There are structures called photonic crystals that work on a principle like this. Many examples in literature exist on how emission properties of lasers and other emitters such as quantum dots have been modified using photonic crystals.

Claude.
So the two oscillators will detune each other to separate frequencies. (A classical slant on the problem.) Not unknown in circs where you have two high Q oscillators which are unwittingly coupled close enough.

1. What is a light source?

A light source is an object or entity that emits light. This can include natural sources such as the sun, stars, and fire, as well as artificial sources such as light bulbs and lasers.

2. Can two light sources actually collide with each other?

No, light sources do not physically collide with each other like solid objects do. However, their light waves can interact and interfere with each other in various ways.

3. What would happen if two light sources with different colors collide?

If two light sources with different colors collide, the resulting light will likely be a blend of the two colors. This is known as color mixing, and the resulting color will depend on the specific wavelengths and intensities of the two light sources.

4. How does the intensity of the light sources affect the collision?

The intensity, or brightness, of the light sources can affect the resulting light when they collide. For example, if two light sources with equal intensities collide, the resulting light will be brighter than either of the individual sources. However, if one source is significantly brighter than the other, the resulting light may be closer to the color and intensity of the brighter source.

5. Is there any practical application for studying light source collisions?

Yes, there are many practical applications for studying light source collisions. For example, understanding how light sources interact can help in the design and optimization of lighting systems, such as stage lighting or LED displays. Additionally, studying light source collisions can also provide insights into the properties of light and the behavior of electromagnetic waves.